[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - Book Writing Question: First or Third Person?

• Advertisement

Book Writing Question: First or Third Person?

Everything else about freelancing

Book Writing Question: First or Third Person?

Postby WhatEver » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:29 pm

OK, I looked through all the forums and I hope this is the most appropriate one to post in, to ask for input about this topic. :?

I have never participated in the "NaNoWriMo" (such a bizarre acronym :roll: ), since I'm not really a fiction writer. However, I experienced a dramatic personal event in which I nearly lost my life - there's no logical explanation for my survival - and I have been wanting to write about it for a couple years now. I was thinking of at least implementing the discipline of writing regularly next month while the fiction event is going on, to see how much I can accomplish toward the goal of writing a personal account of that experience.

My question is, since it was a personal experience, should I write from a first person perspective, or third person with a "reveal" at the end of the book that the entire story happened in real life? I would appreciate any opinions or input you may have to offer - from those who are avid readers, as well as from anyone who is a published author of full-length feature articles or books...or anyone else, for that matter! :mrgreen:

Thanks! :)
Freelance mantra: *Diversify*Diversify*Diversify*
WhatEver

Advertisement

Re: Book Writing Question: First or Third Person?

Postby Scribe On Demand » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:03 pm

I think it more depends on how you want it to read, like a memoir or a novel? The use of first person gives the reader an instant tie to you in a memoir, whereas if you use third person it will feel more like a traditional novel. Third person will also allow you that surprise at the end.

Personally, if it's a true story and written by the person who experienced it, I prefer first person.

I'm doing NaNoWriMo, too. The great thing about it is you can't over-think the writing for NaNoWriMo because the sole goal is to get a minimum 50,000 words written. This is a rough draft, so just pound it out and worry about the details later.
2012 - Year of the Lioness

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupid.
Scribe On Demand

Postby Devil_youknow » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:21 am

Dude, I'll be joining you in Nano writing. Hey it's a start right?

Anyhoo, to your question...from what you're telling us about the novel, definitely first person.

Third person is great if you're talking for a large amount of characters, but it's not their story you're trying to convey, it's yours. And I would advise against using the third person and then a 'reveal', sounds like something even a experienced author would have trouble doing.
Devil_youknow

Postby Scribe On Demand » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:48 pm

i_voted_9.jpg

You're welcome. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Scribe On Demand

Postby Scribe On Demand » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:39 pm

Scribe On Demand

Return to Freelance Writing Misc.