[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - Client introduces some mistakes in my finished pieces

• Advertisement

Client introduces some mistakes in my finished pieces

Everything else about freelancing

Client introduces some mistakes in my finished pieces

Postby balls-r-us » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:44 am

Alright, so I have this client who apparently hires an editor to edit my articles, or self-edits them to include other things. He has a couple of other writers in staff and is a pretty decent guy. I really have grown to like working with him a lot, but there's just one thing: The finished work has spelling and grammar errors introduced to it. While it wouldn't bother me normally, it is published under my real name. I mean, no pay is high enough to have your name smeared in that manner...

So I'm trying to think of how to put it so he doesn't feel like a dork or some kind of idiot. He's one of the nicest clients I have and has been so far very cooperative and understanding. Should I just tell him straight out that I see errors introduced to my work, and would like to take the time to correct them myself?

I imagine that other potential clients might see this work and say "WTF this guy doesn't even know how to spell!"
I iz a riter. I can haz $15? Tank you!
balls-r-us

Advertisement

Re: Client introduces some mistakes in my finished pieces

Postby liarmcliarface » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:41 pm

"I see a few spelling and grammar errors in some of our finished products. May I take the time to correct them myself?"
"You gotta keep your worlds apart!" - George Costanza
liarmcliarface

Postby balls-r-us » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:22 pm

Yeah, I thought of making it that simple, but my tendency to be overly nitpicky got the better of me. I actually elaborated in the email to say where every mistake was, which sentence it was in, etc.

There were only three minor mistakes, but they stuck out like a sore thumb. I'm hoping that my email will make him say "Ah fuck it, let's just give him his own proofreading privileges in the blog." After all, apart from DMS, I haven't seen spelling errors introduced in material from other clients.
balls-r-us

Postby balls-r-us » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:29 am

Yeah, I already dealt with the problem, and the client was very nice about it. He made the corrections as instructed and thanked me for having the site's best interests at heart. We're now getting along really well and he started opening up to me, asking me for advice on revamping the site and its community aspect.
balls-r-us

Postby liarmcliarface » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:42 pm

"You gotta keep your worlds apart!" - George Costanza
liarmcliarface

Postby WalkAway » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:44 pm

WalkAway

Postby balls-r-us » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:46 am

Oh hell yeah. I tend to go for clients with small teams because of that. Honestly, I felt like I was working in one of Stalin's camps at Demand Media. In the USSR, no one knew wtf was going on, and they lived in blissful ignorance until the last moment. I can't fuckin' tolerate smoke and mirrors. Fuck that :P

I also HATE stampedes with a passion. It's unnerving to think I'm one of 5000 writers. Wtf. It's better to think you're one of 8 writers that were chosen from hundreds of applicants, instead of one of 5000 who were chosen from... only twice as many applicants? I personally think that the staff flips a coin to see who gets into DMS. Or maybe they pee blindfolded at a target in the urinal with 2 applicants' pics, and the one soaked with the most piss gets rejected.
balls-r-us

Return to Freelance Writing Misc.