[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - AWESOME section

• Advertisement

AWESOME section

A forum to bitch about eLance zombies.

AWESOME section

Postby CE_ClueBat » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:55 am

THIS IS FREAKIN AWESOME HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

We should all sign up just to make fun of the zombs in the elance forum.
"Or, it could be that I don't know everything." ~TheBatman
CE_ClueBat

Advertisement

Re: AWESOME section

Postby partygirl » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:22 pm

Yeah, that might be fun. I have never bothered signing up for either, or even looking at their websites for that matter, until Batman posted that funny stuff from the creditably lady.

Maybe I'll look into it but I've always heard these places are one headache after another.
partygirl

Postby The Batman » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:57 pm

Elance is alright. I'm getting decent work there. You just need to look out for the bad clients and don't listen to the ragers in the forums. It will take some time to get used to Elance and figure out what works for you, but it can be worth it. Just keep putting in bids and refining your proposals.

Unless things have changed dramatically in the last couple of years, I would stay far away from oDesk. it is the Mos Eisley Cantina of the freelance world. They cater to the most unscrupulous buyers and freelancers. Maybe you get lucky and find Han Solo to give you a lift, but running into the Walrus face guy is far more likely on oDesk.
"Wait, when is March Madness?" ~CE Cluebat
The Batman

Postby WalkAway » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:40 am

oDesk is OK as long as you stay picky with the gigs you accept. Also, if you're going to do fixed rate, ALWAYS ask for at least a 25% upfront, set milestones for the project, and only choose a buyer who has good feedback and is known to pay in full. But it's really better to do hourly because you're guaranteed the money so long as you show that you're doing the work.

There's definitely a LOT of lowballing on oDesk, but you can find some very nice gigs on there.

I've signed up for Elance and actually got a client there that I write 4 articles per week for at a rate that is better than DMS. It's not a huge amount, but it's nice supplemental income, and I'm his go-to person for pretty much any writing work he needs done, be it articles, tutorials, or even press releases. Other than that, I haven't tried to really look for other gigs.

For those of you who use Elance regularly: do you find more gigs in the website development or writing sections? I do writing, but I also have a lot of WordPress and other website development experience. I'm trying to decide what section to specialize in on Elance and want to pick the one that has the best money-earning potential. And hopefully the least amount of competition, because I'm tired of bidding only to have a client pick some $1 per hour foreign writer/developer.
WalkAway

Postby Saya » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:20 am

I think I am in the wrong place. I thought this section said "Lane Sucks."
Saya

Postby partygirl » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:32 pm

partygirl

Postby EnigmaticJack » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:39 pm

'Guys and girls, beware, the berg has warned you.'

Rule number one: The Doctor lies.
EnigmaticJack

Postby The Batman » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:02 pm

"Wait, when is March Madness?" ~CE Cluebat
The Batman

Postby BurnCEs » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:12 am

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BurnCEs

Postby truthagainst » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:04 pm

"You see, I have this little policy about honesty and ass-kicking, which is, if you ask for it, then I have to let you have it." - Taylor Mali
truthagainst

Location: That place where Louis CK says people just stand out on their porches and look depressed.

Return to eLance Sucks