[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - If you ever want to know ...

• Advertisement

If you ever want to know ...

Got a stupid copy editor story? Share it here!

If you ever want to know ...

Postby Page1News » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:48 pm

about dozens and dozens of DMS CEs, troll LinkedIn. When someone takes a peek at my profile, I can see who peeked. So I decided to go peek at some of my peeping Toms. If you know how to do a specific search, you can find the CEs and the areas in which they edit for DMS.

I'm astounded that so many of them are so dang proud of contracting with DMS. One of them started as a tech writer, became a general CE, became a tech beta CE and now is "the" tech section CE. Nearly all the CEs who have LinkedIn accounts came from newspapers and magazines -- no surprise there. But what is surprising to me is how they cannot see how stupid it looks to list all their DMS "accomplishments" and to have freelance DMS writers and CEs write glowing recommendations for them.

If I worked at a major metro daily newspaper, such as the Boston Globe, for 20+ years, I certainly would not want to have DMS or any DMS-related work on my resume. Geez editors, get that crap off your profiles --- it makes you look like an idiot!!

ETA: One of the DMS hamsters that spins the techno wheel in the Austin office is one of my peeping Toms. :lol: :lol:
You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometime, you just might find, you get what you need.
Page1News

Advertisement

Re: If you ever want to know ...

Postby Camacho » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:19 pm

oh looky, here's the woman who's been reviewing writer resumes and editing our bios for the last 4 years :roll:

"Fuck yeah!"
Camacho

Postby sickofstupidity » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:39 pm

She has a lot of great experience, but there is a glaring error in her profile that would make me hesitate to hire her.
sickofstupidity

Postby Page1News » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:33 pm

Aside from several errors and a too-lengthy profile/resume, when someone has years and years of experience, there absolutely is no reason to include content farming work as part of your proudest work experience.

I used to be a an ice cream scooper and cake maker at Baskin Robbins, but I don't need to put that on my resume. :roll:
You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometime, you just might find, you get what you need.
Page1News

Postby sickofstupidity » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:16 pm

Hehe, good point. I used to work at a grocery store that had a small ice cream place in the front. They'd stick me out there all the time, which was good and bad. The good part was I was allowed to have ice cream. The bad part was 1) I ate a LOT of ice cream and 2) The milkshake machine caught fire and made me look like an ass.

I certainly don't put all that on my resume, either. :)
sickofstupidity

Return to Copy Editors