[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - I don't fear rewrites. I hate them.

• Advertisement

I don't fear rewrites. I hate them.

Got a stupid copy editor story? Share it here!

Postby yes_that_anne » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:40 pm

1. I hate rewrites when they are incoherent.
2. I hate rewrites when they tell me to make any change that will make the content, grammar, spelling, or mechanics worse.
3. I hate rewrites when they demand information not contemplated by the title.
4. I hate rewrites when they ask questions which are answered in the article.
5. I hate rewrites when they ask questions that have nothing to do with the article.
6. I hate rewrites when they demand a change that directly contradicts the style guidelines, fact, common sense, or the rules of the English language.
7. I hate rewrites when they insist on a complete tear-down because the CE doesn't "like" something
or doesn't agree with my interpretation of the title.
8. I hate rewrites when they are based entirely on a CE's distaste for a reference that cleared the blacklist.
9. I hate rewrites when they tell me to put more attributions in.
10. I hate rewrites when they tell me to take more attributions out.
11. I hate rewrites when they tell me some phrase is in the "passive voice" when it is not.
12. I hate rewrites when they tell me "the guidelines say" to do something that is in fact the opposite of what the guidelines say.
13. I hate rewrites when they tell me to do the opposite of what the previous rewrite told me to do.
14. I hate rewrites when they don't tell me what to do.
15. I hate rewrites when they have already been done by the CE, but said CE felt I needed to see his or her glorious changes in the name of a "teachable moment."
16. I hate rewrites when they will obviously take longer to do than I spent writing the article.
17. I hate rewrites when they turn into rejections because the CE was not clear about what s/he wanted at the rewrite stage.
18. I hate rewrites when they turn into rejections for things the CE never mentioned at the rewrite stage.
19. I hate rewrites when they increase my risk of rejection, especially because the CE was ambiguous or never said anything about whatever s/he ultimately rejected the article for.
20. I hate rewrites because the half-witted robot that reviews the rejection appeals is as arbitrary, incoherent, and pointless as the rewrite instructions that got me the rejection.

I do not hate rewrites that ask intelligent questions or actually point out when something is broken, confusing, or incomplete. But guess how many of those I get?
yes_that_anne

Advertisement

Re: I don't fear rewrites. I hate them.

Postby Scribe On Demand » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:13 am

2012 - Year of the Lioness

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupid.
Scribe On Demand

Postby yes_that_anne » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:57 pm

Lol, thanks!
yes_that_anne

Postby gidget » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:20 am

From what I've read, the best thing is to not do any rewrites. You can shop the article somewhere else.
Just go on to the next order.
I've also heard that you can submit it to another CE at some point (don't ask me how I don't write for DS).

http://hubpages.com/hub/Demand-Studios- ... y-It-Sucks
gidget

Postby SEO Speedwagon » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:06 am

SEO Speedwagon

Postby jekhyl » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:19 am

I hate rewrites where there is an obvious typo, on a 30-word document, and the CE sends it back as a rewrite with a smart-assed comment rather than FIXING it.

"Havea? There's such a word as havea? Please explain or correct."

You just spent 1/3 of the words of the article, and wasted BOTH our time, on that rewrite. Was it really worth it? If the answer is "yes" you need to fucking die in a fire.
Why? Because FUCK YOU, that's why.
jekhyl

Postby fuckermcfucksticks » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:38 am

I am really not a dick... I just play one on DSS.
fuckermcfucksticks

Postby jekhyl » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:41 am

Why? Because FUCK YOU, that's why.
jekhyl

Postby Pardon_my_French » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:38 pm

Pardon_my_French

Postby Hbomb » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:43 pm

I just received a rewrite telling me to make three different changes, with the changes specified. The editor then went and made those changes already, except for one where I typed "is" instead of "its". I had to fix that. Changing is to its was the entire reason to send it back for a rewrite.
Hbomb

Next

Return to Copy Editors