[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - The Application Process

• Advertisement

The Application Process

Talk about Demand Studios and Demand Media. How about that health insurance?!!

The Application Process

Postby Anti-Zombie League » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:55 pm

If there's an area where Demand Studios especially needs work, it's in the application process. I knew published journalists with long, established careers who weren't accepted. They have long established careers and they're turned down by kids so young they still have milk on their whiskers. Who approves applications and what drugs are they on?
Anti-Zombie League

Advertisement

Re: The Application Process

Postby marsha » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:59 pm

I don't even know what their standards are. I got in with a less than impressive resume (a handful of articles with Associated Content, etc.) and a sample article that had nothing to do with the type of content Demand produces.
marsha

Postby LincolnParkAfterDark » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:08 pm

My guess is that it depends on who reviews your application, or by how many applicants they accepted on the day you apply. My first attempt, I received an email denying my application within less than an hour of applying. I'm convinced no one even looked at it. My sample articles were how-to's. I tried again with a different email address and changed up my resume. I removed my professional experience and turned it into a writing-only resume. I used a completely different writing sample--it was a humor piece. I received the acceptance email two days later. Go figure.
LincolnParkAfterDark

Postby Patrick » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:45 pm

yeah,

i think it's a total crapshoot - pretty much the same thing when turning stories over to a CE - it really depends on who you get.

i did a little experiment. made up a bunch of fake resumes and applications just to see what would happen. some got in. some didn't. but they were all 100% made up.

the only conclusion that i came to was that too much experience can scare them off as well as too little.

i guess the advice would be to use a pen name when you sign up. if it doesn't work, just apply again with a different email/pen name. then, when you finally get accepted, change all the information to your real stuff.
Patrick

Postby i_smell » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:11 pm

True story:

My friend who is an editor at a literary magazine wanted to edit at DS for extra money. She's not a person who has qualms about lying or stretching the truth on a resume ("If you are capable of doing the job well, it's a victimless crime.") Since there is only one shot at submitting a resume (unless you wait a long time) she did an experiment to see which editorial resumes would pass (she was able to pass the test with flying colors for each resume). Here are the 4 sets of qualifications she tested:

7 years experience editing online classified ads, BS marketing
8 years experience editing online filler material type content, BS marketing
5 years experience editing printed literary mag, BA philosophy (true)
3 years experience editing printed local newspaper, BA English and journalism

The ones that worked were the first two. Not exactly the best designed experiment, but in her experiment, more years of experience editing low quality content was better than fewer years experience editing higher quality content. And marketing is usually considered a fluff degree, so maybe it is really just a matter of padding the numbers.

I'm glad she decided not to apply. She's the kind of CE who would send back rewrites to make something a masterpiece of the English language. She's not very knowledgeable about anything outside of literature or philosophy, so she would have to spend a lot of time fact-checking.Too much time for $3.50.

But, it just goes to show you that if she padded her resume, she could be hired. Who's gatekeeping the gatekeepers?
Attn Co-Authors:

That is all.
i_smell

Postby Rand » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:21 pm

I think DS might do a lousy job of filtering who gets hired, but I hear they have a bio review squad that verifies your bio info with your resume, and then they follow up on the resume for things like education. A few people who lied on their bio got fired, if I recall.

So I think there are SOME measurements in place. Plus, how can you put a different name/info when your SSN and a 1099 is involved? It's pretty easy to catch blatant manipulators of the system, I imagine...

But who knows.
Rand

Postby i_smell » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:11 pm

For the initial application, you don't have to give your ssn. Only if you accept a position do you have to supply real info. That's how you can test their hiring process with several fake resumes. A person could probably work for several months without their educational credentials being checked. Not that you actually need a degree in anything write or edit for DS. Repurposing info is like flipping burgers.
Attn Co-Authors:

That is all.
i_smell

Postby jekhyl » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:18 pm

Why? Because FUCK YOU, that's why.
jekhyl

Postby Adam V. Lally » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:41 pm

When I first applied to DS I got rejected. I was completely confused. Sure, I don't have an extensive journalism resume, but I've been published in a few local periodicals, have an English major, and can type faster than most primates. My sample was one that got me accepted for a more prestigious job. But I used my "business" resume the first time. And maybe it's a little (ahem) egotistical, but I knew a lot of borderline morons on freelance sites who were writing for DS.

So I started thinking. If DS uses a computer algorithm to generate their titles, it makes sense they'd use a computer to pre-screen applicants. Most companies do that anyway, now. I used to work in IT many moons ago so I thought I'd test my little theory.

I used an alternate e-mail address, but the same personal identifying info (ie, I didn't lie about my name or anything else). I drafted a new resume. This one was a cheesy "freelance writing" template I modified. I packed the "new resume" with keywords like "internet" "writing" "freelance" "content" "SEO", you get the drill. Put it in an easy, bulleted format with no extraneous punctuation on the keywords.

Was accepted within 24 hours the second time.

Maybe an "editing panel" approves after pre-screens, but I don't beleive for a second that real people are sifting through all the initial applications. Which there's nothing wrong with, really, it's much more cost-efficient. The people who perpetuate the "DIFFICULT HIRING PROCESS" and "SELECTIVITY" tend to be MomZombs types who think it's akin to a Pulitzer nomination. I mean. Not that an eHow article might not win one some day.
Names have been changed to protect the innocent.
Adam V. Lally

Return to Demand Studios