[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - Fired from DS? Post here instead of starting another thread.

• Advertisement

Fired from DS? Post here instead of starting another thread.

Talk about Demand Studios and Demand Media. How about that health insurance?!!

Re: Fired from DS? Post here instead of starting another thr

Postby scrappy_bitch » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:22 pm

Thanks, Clue. I know it's because I called the CE an anal retentive jackass and not because of my writing, even though the form message they send you says it's all your fault. I think I'll take my last DMS payment and treat myself to a nice steak dinner at a fancy restaurant.

I've spent the past few weeks rewriting my commercial writing site and studying my freelance writing books. I'm also in Peter Bowerman's coaching class, so I don't think I'll have to worry.

I read somewhere the two happiest days in a DMS writer's life are the day they get hired and the day they get fired. I know I'm smiling as much as the clown dog to the right.
scrappy_bitch

Advertisement

Postby CE_ClueBat » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:35 pm

lol I forget who said that, but it's so true. Although I've had to hussle for work since January, knowing the DMS was gonna finally fire us all, I feel like getting rid of DMS is like taking a nice long shit after being constipated and then watching is swirl into nothingness. Feels good man.

I also fully enjoy watching staffers hussle to kill off all the shit that the TEs, writers and CEs are letting through during their last hurrah. I wonder if staffers spend a lot of their days now searching for dissenters. :lol: :lol:
"Or, it could be that I don't know everything." ~TheBatman
CE_ClueBat

Postby mordecai&rigby » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:21 pm

I got my permissions yanked as a CE last nite. The senior-senior CE sent me some crap boilerplate then inserted a sentence, which her iPhone apparently auto-corrected or she really can't form coherent sentences, so it came out as gibberish. I replied thanks for the input then went ahead and edited her sentence and sent it back. Of course, I got an auto-reply saying she's taking a long weekend. Cunt.

I got an eBook published last week and took on three more assignments. In the style guidelines the publisher states: "Please use only high-quality sources, such as: The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, popular blogs, etc. Less credible sources like Wikipedia, eHow, and other general reference sites do not count. "

I feel justified.
mordecai&rigby

Postby Pardon_my_French » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:26 pm

Pardon_my_French

Postby Gary Busey for CE » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:32 am

This one may be/will be a TL; DR for many, but allow me to vent for a second, por favor. I think the "Out of Demand" section is now obsolete since we're all pretty much done but the final nail in the coffin came for me the other day when I got an email saying permissions were removed. (Well, HG permissions, which doesn't matter since there was nothing really left anyway, but I digress.) I'd rather not start another thread about it so I'll tell a story here:

This may out me with any mgt. people who see it but I could really give a flying fuck at this moment. (I'm more amused then pissed.) A few things stood out about the aforementioned email.

1) The subject line was misspelled. (Yes, Eve, you misspelled "writing" in your own Copy Curator email you dumb, hypocritical bitch.)

2) The email stated basically that they'd done an audit of recent work and found the quality lacking. (Fair enough because I was six shades of 'don't give a fuck' in the last few weeks.) However, of the five articles listed, three were just cited for being bad titles that shouldn't have been written. It still amazes me that Demand as the client is responsible for the titles that they request and say they'll pay for yet they blame the writers for taking those assignments, writing them, and getting the agreed compensation for them. You asked for the titles, fuckwad. Don't try to wag your finger at me for giving you what the fuck you asked for. They also got hit with the "too general" tag.

3) The remaining two articles were cited for poor writing, illogical steps and safety hazards. This confused me at first because I always stay away from shit that I think could harm anybody. I read the email briefly on my phone 'cause I was working but then when I got home, I figured out what was off about those two articles they said gave them cause to yank permissions:

I didn't write them.

I remembered seeing the two titles in question in the queue and deciding both were not worth the effort. They weren't mine. I didn't bother replying but, sure enough, I get another email from Eve a while later stating two articles had been included in my assessment in error. She then hoped that the error didn't "cause any confusion." (Although they'd cited them as reasons for why permissions were pulled.)

Yet another example of DS management being really on top of their shit... :lol: As for causing any confusion, not at all. I already thought you were morons...

4) Eve also went on to say that I had an unacceptable 10% rewrite abandonment percentage for the month and 5% overall and if I wanted to keep my general permissions, I'd better get that number lower. First off, I think 5% is pretty goddamn low considering how fucking stupid a lot of these rewrite requests are. Secondly, I'd written maybe ten articles this month and abandoned one of them, hence the 10%. In short, fuck off.

I'd found Demand after quitting a previous job. I'd been in a mgt. position and discovered in the process that company was violating a shitload of labor laws. I brought it to their attention and they cut my pay by nearly a grand a month and said I was never to question their policies again. (Seriously.) I walked out and they withheld my final pay as "punishment" for quitting without notice, which is really fucking illegal. I was not under any kind of contract and was an "at-will" employee. I opened a state investigation that is still ongoing because state investigators are motherfucking slow.

So I'd walked with no money or backup plan and a dog that was sick with MRSA and required regular antibiotics for weeks before recovering and the bills bled me dry. Not good times. Found Demand on Craig's List, got accepted and was still skeptical. Wrote a few, got paid. Wrote a few more, got paid. Okay, cool.

Meanwhile, I'd started my own company years earlier and had been funding a major project under the company label that's taken me nearly ten years to get completed. (Which was why I had no money. It was all tied up in my actual career/life goals.) I used Demand income to stay afloat while I paid the people working with me to finish up this massive undertaking we'd done together. As I write this, we're just finishing the final touches and I can finally move onward and market the thing. Meanwhile, have multiple other smaller projects also in process under the company banner and set for completion and launch this year. I relied on DS as my sole source of income for a while because I wasn't looking at freelance writing as a career and wasn't interested in focusing on expansion when I already had a career and project to put that energy into. Figured that when the day came Demand collapsed, I'd be resourceful enough to find something else. When titles indeed dried up, I'd crunched numbers and figured end of January would be when I'd need to definitely jump. Then they pulled all the titles out overnight but I'd already started the process of splitting into other jobs/clients by then. Still sucked, but I wasn't caught completely unawares. When the email came in a few days ago, I was on a set of a major show making good money and had just booked another project that pays pretty well that I've been working on this weekend. I just read the email, kind of shrugged, wondered what the fuck those two articles were that I didn't remember writing, and went back to my life.

No sense in outting myself here because no one know who the fuck I am anyway. I posted in maybe ten threads total (if that) from memory in the GF when I first started because I had questions and was trying to learn the system. I threw a fit at one point because a CE had altered an article to take out information and to add grammar errors and then instant-rejected on the basis of that missing info and those errors. I got PMd by someone putting together a list of people with similar problems. Don't know if that played a role but instant-reject was taken away a short while later. I ended up finding the same title in the queue a few days later and submitted the original article again untouched and it passed through without a problem, so again DS can go fuck off.

One funny rewrite request from when they'd just started adding criteria for interviews as sources and tried harping on us using them. I'd written an article on screenwriting because, yeah, I actually am a screenwriter. (No, I'm not the long-winded screenwriting dude who rambled in the GF for a while...can't remember his name...) I included this info in the Notes so the CE could take it into consideration.

I shit you not, I got a request back to interview James Cameron to add a "credible source" to the article. What?! Yeah, I got his number in the Rolodex right next to me, motherfucker. That's why I write for this shit company for rent money and I'm sure he'd be happy to stop making Avatar 2 to talk to you fuckers about how to write a story. Seriously. "Interview James Cameron." I'd think the CE had a sense of humor if the wording wasn't so fucking dead-serious and earnest about it.

I know this is a long-ass fucking post so gracias to those who maybe kinda skimmed some of it. I'd lurked here a long time before joining and the Gary Busey thing came from thinking that his ramblings reminded me of CE rewrite requests. My original plan was to make a character out of it and babble about non-nonsensical shit and then bring it back to a DS related point but I quickly got bored with that and people were cool here so I just posted as myself and added a shitload of profanity to it for my own fucking amusement.

So this that's my own "Done with Demand" story. Doing stunts on a project tomorrow after a long-ass rehearsal today, have some web projects coming out soon and a major film getting released this year that I'd written as well as acted in. I'm grateful that Demand came along when I'd walked out of the last job for ethical reasons but nothing excuses their treatment of people over the last 6 months to a year. There was just no reason to lie to people so blatantly, especially when it was apparent that some of these fucking people couldn't tie their own shoes in the morning let alone see through Jordan's condescending bullshit enough to know they were being set up for a fall. Fuck'em.

Gary Busey, signing off.

(I'll still be around DSS- way to entertaining to give that up. Thanks for reading, you crazy bastards...assuming anyone did)
-------
I was in "Lethal Weapon," dammit.
Gary Busey for CE

Postby scrappy_bitch » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:04 am

Good luck with your project, Gary. I laughed at the fact Eve couldn't spell 'writing.' Maybe it's because that douche wouldn't know real writing if it bit her on the ass. The whole "Yeah, we fucked up and blamed you for writing articles that you didn't write but you're still fired anyway" thing just goes to show how desperate and what assholes they are.

It's time for all of us to move on to bigger and better things. I'm sure there will be a lot of similar stories over the coming weeks.

If you don't mind my asking, which movie are you working on? I'll be sure to go see it.
scrappy_bitch

Postby CE_ClueBat » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:34 am

Gary Busey, I read the whole thing. A little OT, but I had an employer try to hold my pay and went the state direction. The government is a bunch of fucktards (and we wonder why the US is going bankrupt). My suggestion and what worked for me: go see a lawyer. I got a referral to an employment lawyer from my ticket attorney. The employment lawyer had a free consultation and told me he had it in the bag, the employer would have to pay AND they'd have to pay his fees, because they are completely in the wrong. One phone call from an attorney and a week later I got my pay in the mail. Do it. Don't waste your time with the government. An attorney will get you your money in no time and they'll have to shell out fees for his work.

So, go see a lawyer. It cost me nothing but my time. You'd be so surprised how differently ANYONE acts even a big corporation when they have a lawyer send a letter or make a phone call. Companies completely change their tune when it happens. I used to have a lawyer who would send letters for free, but he got disbarred. :roll:
"Or, it could be that I don't know everything." ~TheBatman
CE_ClueBat

Postby undercover » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:26 pm

WOW. Read the whole thing, Gary, with my mouth open. Think I swallowed a fly and I blame you for that. (j/k)

I have to second what Clue said. It is my own experience that business owners, landlords, anybody else thinks they can get away with anything... until they get a letter from a lawyer. All of a sudden, they become law-abiding citizens. It makes me want to vomit.

On a side note to the side note, I once wrote a letter to a landlord demanding appropriate behavior from him. He caved, but accused me of getting a lawyer to help me write it. WTF? The personal insult aside, I took it to mean that if he didn't think I had some invisible lawyer behind me, he would have tried to keep my money.

Best of luck to you.
undercover

Postby Gary Busey for CE » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:04 am

Thanks, guys.

I'd summarized the legal issue with the previous company for brevity. I had retained a law firm that started to move forward with legal proceedings but then they found a state law that interfered with their desire to make a class-action suit out of it, which was all they cared about so they dropped everything mid-process and ran. "You're in the right, but this is no longer worth our time and energy."

The state investigation isn't even about trying to get the money back at this point- it's to try to bring the fuckers down hard, at least in the state because I can prove illegal retaliatory action and the fines and penalties for that are pretty hefty to my understanding. I had to file an appeal to get unemployment at the time (citing "constructive discharge") and the company's argument was hilariously inept. They argued they shouldn't have to pay because:

A) I never worked for them. (Yeah, I think all my paystubs, emails and records make that easily disproven.)

B) They hadn't cut my pay enough to constitute a constructive discharge. (See Argument A and see how those two go together. Judge took one look at it and threw the argument out in my favor and said the company broke the law.)

The company's international but they still run it like a Mom and Pop shop because its owned by a brother and sister that are both arrogant and completely ignorant of the law. They were illegally sneaking people from Canada into the US to work for them and flipped out when I told them that Homeland Security could be up their ass in a heartbeat. The brother offered to pay me back the money owed only if I went back to work for them and ran their Florida operations. That whole situation is a cartoon. Eventually, the state investigation will conclude and then we'll see what happens.
-------
Gary Busey for CE

Postby Gary Busey for CE » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:05 am

-------
Gary Busey for CE

PreviousNext

Return to Demand Studios