[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - What will become of the CE threatening the Writer story

• Advertisement

What will become of the CE threatening the Writer story

Talk about Demand Studios and Demand Media. How about that health insurance?!!

What will become of the CE threatening the Writer story

Postby JennyF » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:27 pm

Not long ago a writer posted that she had received a threatening email from someone who claimed to be a CE. Someone also mentioned it in another post here. The email seemed to come from a CE who was pissed that the writer appealed one of her articles. The writer deleted the content of the email from the forum before I could read it. The staff made noises that they cared and this was important to them. I tend to doubt that.

I'm waiting for the sweeping reforms, similar to the ones that protect CE identities, to be put into place to protect writers. I'm not even sure I believe the campfire story about some writer threatening a CE way back when. I doubt either writers or CE's will ever bother to do something of any note to one another. I do get annoyed when anonymous CE's use my name or mention something in that bio I created. Although, I was somewhat concerned when I appealed a rewrite and the editors said that they were forwarding the email to the CE. But the email includes my name, not pseudonym and my email address.

I don't see how they can justify the one way safety precautions and I wonder if they will even try.
JennyF

Advertisement

Re: What will become of the CE threatening the Writer story

Postby Donna » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:59 pm

I, too, missed the contents of the email that you are referring to. As far as I know there has not been any follow up regarding the results of editorial's investigation. I doubt there will be any change in the way DS handles this issue. There does seem to be favoritism when it comes to CEs. For some reason they are considered holier than thou, while writers are hostile, psychopaths...

When CE's use my name (pseudonym) in the CE comments I get really defensive even if the comments are neutral or nice. Who the hell are you? Do I know you? Have we met before? Then I remember we must use our 'names' in our bio, and CEs have access to that. We should have access to their pseudo info, too.
Donna

Postby KWY » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:37 pm

Unless I'm getting my wires crossed here, the writer who claimed to get that e-mail from a CE (I don't think she posted the actual text of the e-mail) said that it was someone she'd known for years who didn't want anyone to know they were a DS CE, but to watch herself because the CEs thought she was getting too full of herself and would be judging her work more harshly.

When people told her to report it to TPTB, she said she knew the person only meant well and didn't want to get them in any trouble. So if DS got wind of it, it was through SEEING HER BLABBING ABOUT IT IN THE FORUM.

I think the writer was something like MaddieG. In that same post, she also announced that she would be withdrawing from all DS forums except Title Clarification.

Well, I was just over there, and she's starting new threads and posting all over the place like nothing happened. Maybe DS hired round-the-clock Secret Service protection for her so she no longer has anything to fear.

Since the CEs are anonymous, and we're all so geographically dispersed, it would seem miraculous for a writer and CE who had clashed online to physically cross paths and realize they'd done so they could try to kill each other.

I also think the "scary writer who once threatened all the CEs" is an old wives' tale, probably started by DS to justify why they allow CEs to enjoy anonymity.

But do any of you remember a BRIEF period last year when DS started putting the editor's name at the bottom of every eHow article, like that gave it added respectability? It caused a shit-storm with the writers, implying that the CEs had somehow contributed something, especially when they were just inserting errors. After a few weeks (or less), DS discontinued that practice.

Since the CEs enjoy total anonymity, I'd cast my vote for writers to have the same. It always gives me the creeps to have one call me by my first name.
KWY

Postby Shirley » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:52 pm

That was a different one KWY.

The threatening email thread was edited almost immediately by the OP. I saw the actual threats before they were deleted. I can't remember the exact wording used but the editor went on a little mini-rant about appeals and how nobody gives a shit if you appeal your stupid little article...

Then the editor listed the writer's real full name, the company she works for outside of DS and her boss's name and phone number. The threat was something along the lines of "maybe your company would like to know what you're really like" and "keep it up and I'll get you fired."

He might have said something about making sure that he personally edited all of her articles and nit-picked them BUT I could be confusing that with another complaint. I'm sure about the personal info and threats to get her fired though.

I doubt the editor could get her fired from her day job but it's still a nasty threat. A few days later, someone started a thread bitching about all of the fake CE emails. Apparently, it's totally believable that a writer would randomly target other writers and use their magical super mind powers to find email addresses and information about recent appeals while the idea of a human editor getting pissed off enough to send out a nasty email is just ridiculous.

I don't think they'll do a damn thing about it because they don't care.
Shirley

Postby KWY » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:00 pm

Oh, Shirley! That IS another one. I totally missed that one. That is scary.

On the other hand, some of the DS writers are accomplished, and they reveal enough about what other work they're doing, like getting books published, for someone to conceivably track them down in the "real" world.

Sounds like what we have here is a writer who's whacked out and making things up, or a CE gone off the deep end.

But CEs can do no wrong, so I agree with you. DS will most likely never deal with it.

I'll tell you, if I ever got an e-mail like that from a CE, I'd place a phone call directly to DS and tell them they'll be hearing from my lawyer.
KWY

Postby Donna » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:01 pm

Donna

Postby JennyF » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:57 pm

Yeah I was definitely talking about the story where the CE said he or she could get the writer fired from her real job and that the CE would make sure to edit all of the writer's articles. If they had just said the part about editing all the articles, you could easily dismiss them because they'd have to be crazy or Lally. You can't really dismiss threats that include real information about someone. Who needs this nutjob starting some kind of nuisance campaign. These days it is so easy to ruin someone's reputation even with outright lies.

I think it would be a complete joke if they say that this is an isolated incidence, but one alleged writer threat against a CE warrants major policy changes.
JennyF

Postby chicklette » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:12 pm

Wow. That is insane. I miss all this stuff because I never really browse the forums. Too bad DS doesn't care about their writers' safety.
Chicklette Lizzy
chicklette

Return to Demand Studios