[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - Stop Devaluing Writers

• Advertisement

Stop Devaluing Writers

Talk about Demand Studios and Demand Media. How about that health insurance?!!

Re: Stop Devaluing Writers

Postby Lane Meyer » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:01 am

Read it slowly, sweetie. That might help you.
"I want my $15!"
Lane Meyer

Advertisement

Postby aphrodite » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:12 am

Lane, why are you always such a condescending jackass? Are people so rude to you irl that you have to act like an ass on the internet to make up for it?

Just wondering.
aphrodite

Postby Lane Meyer » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:04 pm

"I want my $15!"
Lane Meyer

Postby Lane Meyer » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:31 pm

"I want my $15!"
Lane Meyer

Postby CE_ClueBat » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:33 pm

"Or, it could be that I don't know everything." ~TheBatman
CE_ClueBat

Postby Ladidah » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:38 pm

I said it before and I got zinged for it, but I really don't care. The only reason DMS could devalue the writers is because they didn't value themselves enough when they started writing there. Shit, if real writers didn't bother with that place and all they got was WAHs and ESLs then their ship would've sunk a long time ago.

They did it because people allowed them to do it. It was the writers that devalued themselves. And, yeah, I wrote there so I'm just as guilty.

I still say that DMS isn't going to stop churning out shit. They're going to cut the writers who are used to $15+ and lower the fucking payments. And guess what, they will have people fighting over $5 fucking titles too. Shit, the rationalization at that point will be "Well, it's better than Textbroker."

Successful freelance writers have been begging new writers not to writer for sites like DMS, Associate Content/Yahoo whatthefuckever and Suite 101 for as long as those sites have been around. They've been saying the same shit that's being said here: Value your worth, expect more and stop whoring for scraps. It's a fucking waste of energy to scream that at the people that do it. The companies/individuals who pay shit are still going to get their content because people are still going to think they've hit the big time when they get paid anything at all. I mean, Jesus Christ, Huffington Post still has people fighting over writing their crap and everyone knows Arianna doesn't even pay most of her writers.

TL;DR:
Change the title to "Writers, Quit Devaluing Yourselves" because that's the real problem. DMS doesn't value the writers because the writers don't value themselves.
"I've been arguing online since ! I am a warrior!"-- some fucktard in a forum
Ladidah

Postby EnigmaticJack » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:17 pm

I know a guy who was using that pic (minus the speech bubble) as an avvy on another forum.
'Guys and girls, beware, the berg has warned you.'

Rule number one: The Doctor lies.
EnigmaticJack

Postby Page1News » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:16 pm

In the beginning, I feared content mills and similar sites would destroy journalism and devalue the art of true reporting, feature writing and photojournalism. But over the last few years, the content mills have created a deep crevice in the sand, with mill writers on one side and journalists on the other. Never before have I felt more secure in my profession than I do now.
You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometime, you just might find, you get what you need.
Page1News

Postby tommysmom » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:00 am

The problem is so many of the DMS content writers don't have a clue how to get other jobs outside of content mills, and they don't know how to sell their services when they get an opening. They either underbid to get just about anything, they don't focus their efforts on that part of the market they do best (niche writing if you will), and they have no clue how to upsell their clients when a job is done.

When you have no sales knowledge and no marketing skills, you're pretty well shut out of the game, IMO.
tommysmom

Postby CE_ClueBat » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:09 pm

"Or, it could be that I don't know everything." ~TheBatman
CE_ClueBat

PreviousNext

Return to Demand Studios