• Advertisement

Why I think DS sucks.

Talk about Demand Studios and Demand Media. How about that health insurance?!!

Why I think DS sucks.

Postby jekhyl » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:34 pm

I don't give a damned about crappy content.

My problem with DS isn't that they flood the interwebs with writing of questionable quality. After all, if they didn't, someone else would. Hell, there are plenty of examples of poorly written non-DS content so it's apparent that someone does.

No, my issue with DS is the way they treat their contractors.

They lie
They change the rules on a whim
They have crappy systems...
They have very high expectations of their contractors and make it patently obvious that they can be as half-assed as they want.
They ignore obvious problems

And that's why *I* think they suck.
Why? Because FUCK YOU, that's why.
jekhyl

Advertisement

Re: Why I think DS sucks.

Postby Ten Fingers Typing » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:05 pm

You'll fit right in. :)
------

karla
Ten Fingers Typing

Postby jekhyl » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:26 pm

Thanks! Although I am curious to know why other people think they suck. I'm sure there are other reasons.
Why? Because FUCK YOU, that's why.
jekhyl

Postby chicklette » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:59 am

Exactly.
DS steps on the people they depend on, and it's not a big deal to them because plenty of ass-kissers would be more than happy to act as a rug for them. They know there is always going to be a pool of desperate people more than willing to work according to their ridiculous, ever-changing guidelines. This is no big surrprise for me, I've worked for asshat companies like DS before. You may have heard of one: Wal Mart. Hahaha...
Let's unionize DS, see how well that goes over. :roll:

Good thing I'm not worried about making buttloads of money working for a fantastic company. Too bad my time at DS won't be the kind of experience I feel like listing on my resume. After all, I want to be respected in the writing community one day.
Chicklette Lizzy
chicklette

Postby Ten Fingers Typing » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:00 am

They suck because they don't pay enough. I must adapt to an assembly line mentality to crank out content. That's fine. I'm learning webby ways and I'm still working with words (in some fashion), which is what I want to do.

Their review process is nothing like editing and it sucks in a every way.
------

karla
Ten Fingers Typing

Postby KWY » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:15 pm

DS sucks because of its utter contempt for writers, the people supplying what butters their fucking bread.

Their system is set up as if they think all their money comes from copy editors, who are nothing but an overhead expense that bleeds the company a little every time they get paid when their incompetence results in no publishable work.

The system is stacked against the writers at every turn. They leave no stone unturned in not paying writers for their work. Unwarranted rejections. "Inability" to reverse unwarranted rejections. "Expired" appeals.

And as if the sweatshop pay scale and numerous obstacles to acceptance (i.e., incompetent CEs, ever-changing rules they don't bother to TELL anybody about) weren't bad enough, they keep turning the screw to make things more cumbersome, unfair, and nonpaying for the writers. (Photos aren't required, but we're going to waste your time making you hunt for one on every article anyway. And howsabout throwing in 3 free keyword phrases, too.)

And then out of the other side of their mouth, they pretend to bestow all these great "benefits," like that worthless discounted medical scam, and GRANTS!

Yeah, on $1,000 (before taxes) I'll quit my day job and write that Great American Novel I've been planning!

And don't get me started on those puny carrot-on-stick "incentives" they keep concocting keep writers working 24/7.

Experienced writers have their intelligence brutally assaulted and their patience pushed to the limit every time they log on to that fucking site.

How's that? :D
KWY

Postby Ten Fingers Typing » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:51 pm

Rawk on, KWY.
------

karla
Ten Fingers Typing

Postby 2Sly4U » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:10 pm

Ya know, about the rules for writing----I am SO glad I am not the only one that thinks they are ridiculous!! I thought I had just missed something in the handbook--that I did bother to read. Now I find out they just randomly change the rules. Nice. Really nice.
Plus, the CE's. Nuff said. Most of them are idiots or @$$holes. Occasionally I get a true gem, but mostly....not so much.
2Sly4U

Postby KWY » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:00 am

When I started at DS, the only "rules" were their own guidelines and formats, and they were a nightmare. Instead of keeping them in one place and up-to-date, they'd issue changes and corrections in the forums, in separate documents. Inconsistencies were everywhere. Getting anything "right" was a real crapshoot.

Then when they got into bed with USA Today and had to acknowledge the "real" world of publishing, they started using AP style, "Unless DS has a guideline that overrides it."

Well, didn't THAT just make everything nice and clear?

Now I think (but don't quote me) that AP style trumps DS's fucked up mish-mash of inconsistency. And now they've got a ton of writers asking, "What is AP style? Where do I get it? Can I have it if I have short hair? Is 1998's style still good now?"

Did you guys see where DS is working some other deal with major newspapers in San Francisco and Houston, which they named but then SWORE everybody to secrecy on (I'd repeat the names here if I could remember them -- Houston Chronicle, I think), for real estate and business articles, respectively?

Let them keep going down that path and a LOT of those marginally competent, totally untrained writers are going to fall by the wayside. I can hardly wait to see it. A ZOMBIE MASSACRE!
KWY

Return to Demand Studios