[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - Demand Closing for the Holidays

• Advertisement

Demand Closing for the Holidays

Talk about Demand Studios and Demand Media. How about that health insurance?!!

Re: Demand Closing for the Holidays

Postby squirrely_wrath » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:13 pm

Are you fucking KIDDING ME?!!! These people actually got back into the DMS circle of dependence? After all the bullshit that went down in 2011. After the sudden title drought. After the lies. Fuck, even after the CEO hit the road, they STILL decided to once again rely on DMS for full-time income. Fooled them once, shame on DMS. Fooled them twice (without even trying), well, that means these people are all drooling morons.

"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it."

As much as I hate DMS as a company, and some of its more notorious staff, I see no problem with giving a bunch of techies and employees a break. The fact that these writers are pissed because a group of people aren't there to serve them all year long is their problem. The entitlement being displayed is just staggering.

I hate to say it, but the comment that even came close to making a lick of sense was the one about those "hard working" DMS staff needing a break. Are they hard working or even competent? No. Are they still allowed to go on vacation if they want? Yes.
"Pinatas. I personally love the concept of beating the shit out something and getting candy in return. It's pure genius."
squirrely_wrath

Advertisement

Postby Ducky » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:43 pm

I agree with you for the most part, squirrely. I certainly would never put myself in a position where I relied on DMS for anything ever again. I'd seriously rather work fast food or something if I were ever that destitute. DMS is just too shady and shitty to rely on. I HOPE that the people who are relying on DMS will use this forced "vacation" to apply for other jobs, clients, gigs, whatever so that IF DMS comes back and nothing significant changes in January (I don't believe for one second that will be the case), they can all give DMS the big FUCK YOU and just write a couple here and there for beer money.

I don't begrudge anyone for taking a vacation. I wish that previous jobs I had gave me 2-3 weeks off at the holidays. I do feel for anyone losing out on income during the holidays though. I feel bad for the ones who are relying on it for a portion of their incomes because they have to fill in the gaps somewhere. I know that when I was relying on DMS for a good chunk of my income I didn't like it, but I was doing what I had to do to pay the bills.

I can easily understand how people get lured back to DMS time and time again -- especially now that titles are $25 to $30. And now DMS has that Aces thing where if you write 100 articles a month or whatever you get all that extra money. So they're basically encouraging people to dedicate many hours a week to writing for them to get a bonus, and then they're still pulling the rug out like this. While they have every right to do it, it doesn't make it any less shitty.

If I had a private client who said, "Here's a list of thousands of titles. If you write 100 or more a month for me, I'll give you $200 extra. This isn't a one-month thing. This is a promotion from here on out" and then said, "Psych! You can't write anything for over 2 weeks at the holidays. I'm giving you three weeks' notice" I'd be pretty pissed. Of course, this is DMS we're talking about, so no one who has been around the block should be at all surprised that they're screwing freelancers yet again.

What I can't understand is how people are talking about how they will work their fingers to the bone until the last day and then write the articles in their queue offline so they can submit them in January. How stupid can you be? From the comments, it seems editing is slow as it is. It will slow down even more if people clog up the system. So a lot of that won't even get reviewed or paid until well into January. Then you're going to write offline in the hopes that things will come back how they say they will? Anyone relying on DMS for anything should probably spend the next 3-4 days writing what they can so it has a little over two weeks to go through editing and spend the rest of the time looking for a job.

I predict that DMS will probably come back online in January. Available assignments will be drastically reduced. Editing will take weeks, if not a month or more. Something is definitely up. A week or so ago I got an email that they were pulling all of the Livestrong titles from Nutrition and Fitness, which accounted for well over half of the articles in both of those sections. Now this?
Ducky

Postby Illuminati » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:01 pm

The thing that makes this DMS move so hilarious is that normal (profitable) 24/7 businesses don't have to close their doors when employees take vacations. If that were the case, newspapers, hospitals, etc. would be closed. The usual and customary way to handle vacation time for 24/7 businesses is to schedule staggered vacations throughout the year, with those who have the most seniority getting first pick. I worked many Thanksgiving Days and Christmas Days over the years when I was in the news biz. It's just part of working for a 24/7 company. DMS is shutting down because it can't afford to stay open, plain and simple.
Illuminati

Postby Justbrowsing » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:42 pm

This is obviously not what they say it is, but what it actually is, I have no idea. It doesn't make any sense to shut everything down unless they need to slap a bandage on their cash flow. It clearly is a strategic maneuver of some kind. Acquisition maybe? I don't know, but some of those people – the veterans – are dumb as a bag of hair. You can't blame the newbies that don't know any better, but for the love of God, why would you applaud their generosity and believe every word they say if you have been there for years? Dumb as a bag of hair.

If they open again, I bet it won't be January 2nd, or if so, there will be no titles to write. No worries, they are probably just going through them removing the duplicates.Yeah, that's it.

Dumb as a bag of hair.
Men have two emotions: Hungry and Horny. If you see him without an erection, make him a sandwich.

SARCASM: the ability to insult idiots without them realizing it.
Justbrowsing

Postby Water's Fine » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:01 am

Water's Fine

Postby BurnCEs » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:03 pm

I remember in previous years they made a big deal of staying open for holidays, arranging special payment schedules and actually offering incentives (shitty ones, of course) to writers and CEs to keep production levels up. Closing the store for a full two weeks sure sends out a message about current priorities.
BurnCEs

Postby squirrely_wrath » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:11 pm

"Pinatas. I personally love the concept of beating the shit out something and getting candy in return. It's pure genius."
squirrely_wrath

Postby WalkAway » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:59 am

WalkAway

Postby Illuminati » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:13 pm

:roll: I absolutely have no words regarding that Google request.
Illuminati

Postby Devil_youknow » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:15 pm

Oh my god, that posting....oh...my....god.

Google, you make a ton of money and work hard to ensure the results in your search engine gives users what they are looking for. But won't you please reconsider so that this shitty company, that's KNOWN for it's equally shitty content, can be at the top of the list? Please? Pretty please?

Who posted that? What an idiot! I can't believe even a zombie would even....oh never mind. :lol:
Devil_youknow

PreviousNext

Return to Demand Studios