[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - No titles in Tech and the fighting has begun

• Advertisement

No titles in Tech and the fighting has begun

Talk about Demand Studios and Demand Media. How about that health insurance?!!

No titles in Tech and the fighting has begun

Postby WalkAway » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:58 am

WalkAway

Advertisement

Re: No titles in Tech and the fighting has begun

Postby Illuminati » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:22 pm

Does it not ever occur to any of those DMSers that their client, DMS, rapidly is losing *its* clients? When your client begins losing its clients, it's natural to assume that you need to give your client, in this case, DMS, the heave ho right out the door. How dumb are these people? :?
Illuminati

Postby squirrely_wrath » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:53 am

"Pinatas. I personally love the concept of beating the shit out something and getting candy in return. It's pure genius."
squirrely_wrath

Postby Illuminati » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:22 pm

Illuminati

Postby Water's Fine » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:28 pm

Water's Fine

Postby squirrely_wrath » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:50 am

"Pinatas. I personally love the concept of beating the shit out something and getting candy in return. It's pure genius."
squirrely_wrath

Postby Illuminati » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:46 am

Illuminati

Postby squirrely_wrath » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:23 pm

squirrely_wrath

Postby WalkAway » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:39 pm

What I guess I struggle to understand is why people stick with DMS. Yes, I understand many of them are underemployed/unemployed.....but it still doesn't make sense. Let me tell you about me--and this will hopefully explain why it doesn't make sense to me.

I graduated with my Bachelors degree in May 2011. Although I worked Helpdesk in college, I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life after getting the degree. As such, I decided to write for DMS as long as possible. I sent out resumes and actually turned down a job in October of that year that was underpaid and had the potential to be abusive.

Fast forward to December 2011. The writing was on the wall. DMS was no longer what it used to be, shit was going down, and the number of assignments was beginning to decrease. I decided I needed to get out.

So I took to oDesk and began sending out application after application. I had no feedback on the site, just a profile I put together in 15 minutes and a script I sent out with each application explaining my experience.

Within a week of sending out applications, I had three job offers. All were part time, but it was at least something. All paid around $9 an hour. Two clients were very small businesses.

I started working for these three clients while also writing however much I could for DMS. Three soon became two as one client stopped responding. One of the clients took note of how motivated and organized I was, and gradually trained me to manage the developers who worked overseas. Within a few months, I was known as a project manager and was effectively second in line in the business (next to the owner, my boss).

Of course, in February 2012, DMS took away tech permissions for everyone. The work dried up.

The other client eventually folded. But by then, it didn't matter. I was working 40+ hours a week for the one client, and my income steadily increased from $9 to $10 to $11 to now nearly $16 per hour. My boss considers me the anchor of the business. I'm the one person (aside from the developers) who has stuck around. I know things inside and out. I write. I manage. I do social media. I do SEO. I do it all. And when my boss gives me crap (as all bosses do from time to time), I call him out on it. He realizes that I'm an asset to the company, and at this point he'll do just about anything to keep me around.

Then in October 2012, I had the worst month of my life. I like to call it a delayed reaction to the job hunting issues I had the year before. I was depressed and continuously anxious about my job, money, etc. So after weeks of feeling this way, I went to the doctor and got on one medication for depression. Didn't work, even with exercising frequently. 6 months later I switched to Celexa and Niacin. With that and exercise, I feel incredible now. BTW, Celexa out of pocket is only $5 for the generic......most drug stores offer it at this pricing, with or without insurance.

Of course, even with a steady income, it wasn't enough to pay off debts faster or save for a house. So rather than ask for a raise or go back to DMS, I decided in January of this year to look for extra work. I'm not married, no kids, currently no relationship (after a break up last summer, I decided to take a break from dating.....being 25, there's no rush to get married or have kids at this point), so I can pretty much work as much as I want.

I retooled my oDesk profile to reflect my work as a project manager. I began sending out applications......but was then invited to two project management job listings. I sent in my application, quickly interviewed (via Skype), and was offered both gigs right away despite only having two years PM experience when they wanted at least 5. Both were part-time to begin with, but one paid $18 an hour and the other paid $25 an hour.

I've worked all three jobs for the past month. Hasn't been easy working 12 hour days, but it's been worth it because, lo and behold, the money is coming in and shit is getting paid off. Both new jobs are so impressed with the work I do that one is offering me 40 hours a week (and wants to fly me to the headquarters for the company), while the other wants to increase my work. Eventually, I'm going to have to make a choice on what job to stick with permanently because I can't work all three (especially with increasing hours) forever.

However, for now, life is good. I've doubled my monthly income. I have tons of work with interview requests on oDesk coming in frequently....I've obviously had to turn these down. All three bosses are happy with my work. Despite working so many hours, I actually feel really happy. Things get taken care of, I no longer have anxiety about work, and life just keeps getting better.

tl; dr: work your ass off, keep pressing forward, and you'll find your way. I never thought I'd be a PM, and yet here I am. The decision I made two years ago to leave DMS and work minimum wage for a client initially was the best decision I ever made.
WalkAway

Postby Illuminati » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:53 pm

Congrats, Walkaway! Hard work can and does pay off, provided you have hope and faith that something better lies ahead.

After I quit dickin' around with DMS sometime in late 2010, I turned my focus to my true passions in life; family, music, travel and publishing. I'm married and nearly twice your age, Walkaway, so I get the luxury of not bearing the financial brunt for our family, and that has led me to lead what most people would call a "charmed life."

We completely changed up our lifestyle; ditched the mortgage (which felt like a noose around our necks), downsized to a luxury apartment community and now use all the money we save from being former homeowners for traveling and creative music pursuits. Our two teens have learned that having less overhead equals more freedom and that collecting experiences and moments is more valuable than collecting things. We essentially ditched the whole "Great American Dream" trap for a lifestyle that feels more free and open to all kinds of possibilities.

tl;dr: I moved on, and life is good. :D
Last edited by Illuminati on Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Illuminati

Next

Return to Demand Studios