[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - No titles in Tech and the fighting has begun

• Advertisement

No titles in Tech and the fighting has begun

Talk about Demand Studios and Demand Media. How about that health insurance?!!

Re: No titles in Tech and the fighting has begun

Postby 60bagsoftrash » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:24 pm

Getting forced out of DMS is actually one of the best things that can happen to you. I got dependent on them back in 2010-2011, and when the Great Meltdown happened, I was fucked. I started sending out a gazillion resumes, and five months later had my dream job. That led to more and more work, and now things are pretty awesome. I get paid to teach writing and to read books and write about them. I'm constantly learning something. I have the best bosses/editors I've ever had. It beats How to Tie Your Shoes any day.

I went back to DMS for a few months in 2013 because I had a very sick cat* who required a lot of expensive care. I only did it for her, but the bullshit was so depressing I was relieved when I got the form email firing me in January. Incidentally, at the time I was fired, I had a 4.1 average score in both structure and research and a 75% approved-no-rewrites rate. Trying to figure out Demand's "reasoning" will drive you fucking crazy. It makes me feel icky just to think about them.

* She's fine now. :)
60bagsoftrash

Advertisement

Postby squirrely_wrath » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:33 pm

I was accepted into DMS back in 2009. Just general eHow. At the time, I was working at a gas station, fresh out of college. My bills were paid, everything was okay, but being in my 20s at the time (I'm 30 now), I always was looking for extra cash.

When I logged in to DMS for the first time, I wasn't sure just what the hell this was. I selected "human resources" under the "business" category and was met with articles along the lines of "How to Change the Side Door of Your Harley Davidson Motorcycle in July" or some other ridiculous shit that had nothing to do with anything. I dismissed it and didn't look at it again for a good month or so.

Then, I was home sick one day and figured I'd randomly check out what there was. Lo and behold, a title called "Aching Testicles" showed up. I shipped it in without bothering to read the guidelines (which in the end really made no difference, since the guidelines were up to each CE's whim). Got a rewrite with the usual shit, sent it in, got it published and did the same for my other two articles. Soon, I was in the hallowed halls of the DMS community.

Fast forward to January 2010. I landed a contract position as an HR assistant at the local Canadian Forces base. It paid better than the $10.25 minimum wage I used to make, but because the position was found through an agency, those fuckers skimmed some of my earnings. As a result, I used DMS to fill in the gaps.

Long story short, the position was a nightmare. It was a female dominated office and they bullied the fuck out of me. I figured I'd give DMS a try full time once the contract was over. After doing the math, I realized I could pull in roughly $30/hour.

What I failed to realize was just how much money I'd lose to asinine rewrites and the level of fatigue I felt from writing this horseshit. After a few months, I managed to expand my client base but I'd say I was probably 60% reliant on DMS. I also began to hate writing - something I used to love.

Then came the Great Meltdown of 2011. Titles dried up, empty promises were made, Ken Crawford blew Jordan while taking the DMS cock in the other end. I trolled the forums and pissed off Momzomb and CateB. Openly criticized Ken Crawford and nearly got Jordan's banhammer for it. Not long after, though, DMS no longer provided me with an income. I was fucked. My other clients barely paid the bills, but I was lucky enough to land a part-time job at my gym.

The gym went belly-up in early 2012, after which I landed a part-time clerical job at a law office. Not long after, I got a surprise e-mail from DMS telling me I was accepted into Business & Finance/Careers -AND articles paid more. I was skeptical, and wrote a few articles to bridge my income gap (luckily I didn't need to do many). Not long after, I got the boot for supposedly fucking around as a titler.

In July of 2012, the legal assistant at my law office quit. I later found out that she and several other women (specifically clients) had been sexually harassed by this lawyer. Rather than hiring a trained assistant, he decided to offer me the job. It worked well for both of us. I finally was making a salary. My boss was able to pay me less because I had no qualifications for the job and was good at taking his abuse. Eventually his Jekyll and Hyde personality became too much. I ended up having a seizure for the first time in 8 years due to the stress. My driver's license was revoked for a year and I finally said "fuck it". I quit and claimed Employment Insurance for sick benefits.

Today, I'm a little better off. Working in a call centre doing customer care for American cell phone customers (by the way, who the fuck says "shut my phone back on"?). I'm looking at a promotion by the end of the month and hopefully I'll have the time to take up writing, maybe even do an eBook. DMS is behind me, and what used to be a source of anxiety keeping me on the cusp of survival has become a memory. I now laugh at the zombs who made the same mistake twice and thank my lucky stars that I'm not among them.

I've also kept an eye on my lawyer friend via Google. Turns out he had a hearing not long ago and they might pull his license for professional misconduct. Ah, sweet, sweet justice.

tl;dr: Shit just has a way of working itself out sometimes.
"Pinatas. I personally love the concept of beating the shit out something and getting candy in return. It's pure genius."
squirrely_wrath

Postby Devil_youknow » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:53 am

And then there were none.

I have tech and business permissions and I logged on after reading this thread to see what was going on.

There is one lone little business title left - nothing else.
Devil_youknow

Previous

Return to Demand Studios