[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - Burning Question

• Advertisement

Burning Question

Talk about Demand Studios and Demand Media. How about that health insurance?!!

Burning Question

Postby LincolnParkAfterDark » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:33 pm

What I want to know is how to most of those DS forum 'regulars' (zombies) find time to write? Seriously. I want to know their secret because some of them claim to write 10-12 articles/day, yet they chime in on every fucking thread.

I lurk on the forums and I post here. That takes time out of writing--I definitely notice it's a time-waster and I'm not even posting that much!

For all that forum-post-typing-up, whining and newbie-scolding they did, they could've probably earned at least another $15 in that time.

Me thinks there's a lot of bull-shitting going on over there on how many articles/day they write. I had to giggle when that one gal was called out on it. Props to the DS detective who caught that!
LincolnParkAfterDark

Advertisement

Re: Burning Question

Postby Donna » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:38 pm

Yeah, unless they have a clone, there is no way they can respond to every thread or monitor every thread AND make money writing. Just reading the forums takes money out of my pocket, which is why I guess I miss a lot of the popcorn eating drama... But hey, I can post here in my "off" time, and it feels good. :mrgreen:

No flesh-eating zombies to watch out for.
Donna

Postby Shirley » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:50 pm

Most of them are fucking liars. I had no idea what kind of bullshit went on in the forums until I got sick two months ago. I never understood why people referred to DS as a cult or made nasty remarks about the writers until I spent a little time hanging out in that forum because I couldn't do much else.

I've exchanged several emails with one of the mods who claims to make several grand a month with DS. She tells people about DS and how they can make a living off of it. The problem is, she's only written 50 articles in the past two years. I wanted to throw up when I heard that. This woman acts so nice and portrays herself as a caring person who just wants to help others but she's nothing more than a goddamn liar. It makes me sick.

I've actually made $3,000 in a month working for DS but I find it exhausting. I can't stand it when people claim to make thousands with little to no effort but then it turns out that they really only write a grand total of 40 articles in a whole month which comes out to $600. Big whoop.
Shirley

Postby Ten Fingers Typing » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:26 am

------

karla
Ten Fingers Typing

Postby KWY » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:57 pm

I don't think I've ever cracked the $100/day ceiling at DS. $90 (6 articles) was my limit, and that was working ALL DAY. It just about killed me.

On the other hand, I wasn't getting back a lot of rewrites so I must have been doing something right.

These ass-wipes who claim they turn out a fully researched, polished article in 15 minutes and make $60/hour are full of shit, as I think Shirley so eloquently put it. It takes that long just to assign categories, get everything situated in the templates, search for a photo, write the caption, think of 3 keywords, properly format the references, and then explain in the comments why you did everything so the CE won't take a hatchet to the whole thing.

Besides, there aren't enough worthwhile titles out there to keep anybody that steadily busy unless they're a building contractor or auto mechanic, and I haven't seen a lot of those types bragging in the forums.

I think there's a lot of lying going on to reinforce the zombie notion that DS is a good place to make a living. If they ever faced the truth, their heads would explode.
KWY

Postby Shirley » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:18 pm

My record was $240 in one day but it nearly killed me. I lucked out with a bunch of easy articles on the same subject so I didn't have to do much research at all. I haven't been able to come close to that number since. I can write $100 a day pretty easily for several days in a row but then I burnout and can't write shit, at least not for DS.

I don't believe anyone is making $60 an hour at DS. Sure, there are titles you can write in 15 minutes, like "How to glue two pieces of paper together" but you have to spend time finding those titles. Do the "super earners" just completely dismiss that time?

Also, if you visit the forums regularly you'll notice that some of these "super earners" can't pay their bills. Oh yeah, they can make like $300 a day but their home is in foreclosure. Or, they make $60,000 a year but they can't afford the medicine for their sick cat. It's bullshit. If a person is actually making a "good living" then they should be able to afford basic necessities like rent and food. They should also be able to cover the occasional emergency expense.
Shirley

Postby Ten Fingers Typing » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:48 pm

Well, now I don't feel like such a slacker for completing six articles in a day.
------

karla
Ten Fingers Typing

Postby KWY » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:21 pm

Shirley, I tip my hat to you. $240 in one day is impressive.

Every time I find titles I think will be a piece of cake -- and they ARE because I know how to write them -- I hit a wall finding fucking references, and have often ended up throwing them back. Article all written and ready to go, but NO references that will pass muster. Time wasted. $0 earned.

And I love all the bragging about the princely sums they earn, and how they run right out to Walmart to spend whatever they find in their Paypal account the minute it hits. They live in a land where income taxes don't exist.

I was wondering if the subject would come up in the forums at tax time, and it sure did, with threads like:

"HELP! Any Tax Accountants Here?"

"Does DS Really Count as INCOME?"

"How much do I OWE?"

I hope the IRS is setting up a whole new department to track down and prosecute DS scofflaws.
KWY

Postby jekhyl » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:35 pm

Why? Because FUCK YOU, that's why.
jekhyl

Postby jekhyl » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:41 pm

KWY: I will admit that I was one of those who got slapped with hefty taxes this year. I have crappy money management skills (something I'm working on) so I didn't save... actually, I tried several times and had to use up my savings to cover income shortfalls.

I did some W2 work until June of last year so I thought that those deductions would balance things out. I was expecting to have to pay taxes, just not that much.

But at least I didn't blow it all at Walmart. I blew it all on fun stuff, like rent, food and utilities.
Why? Because FUCK YOU, that's why.
jekhyl

Next

Return to Demand Studios