[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - Burning Question

• Advertisement

Burning Question

Talk about Demand Studios and Demand Media. How about that health insurance?!!

Re: Burning Question

Postby Shirley » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:57 pm

Thanks for the hat tip KWY, right back at ya. I do have some tricks to help make more money though and I'll share them here since I can't share them at the DS forum cuz OMGZ, I'm a total cheater and a buttface! *gasp*

I send the article through anyways if I can't find a reference. I leave a note saying that I've done the activity in the article or I point to my bio if applicable. Load up the resource section though because some CEs just want links to click on. (I'm not making that up, I've had rewrites asking for some links because that area of the article "looks empty.")

Books are great references too because they either accept it or they have to flat out call you a liar. Most of them don't want to do that. I grab a stack of books off my shelf and use them to search for titles when I hit a wall. I'm not doing anything wrong because I do use the books but then I don't have to worry about a CE insisting that I flat out plagiarize a website so that all of the information is EXACTLY the same. I don't like doing that and I've lost money for refusing to do that.

If you actually finish the article, by all means submit it. I'm convinced that sometimes they don't even read it. They glance over it, see the links at the bottom and accept it. Take the chance and leave a SOOPER NICE note to the CE. I mean SOOOOOOPER NICE. Tell them how sorry you are that you couldn't find a reference but you've done this soooo many times and this article was soooooo much fun to write and it's a shame that there aren't any good references on the Internet because it's such a coooool topic. Then thank them for their time and wish them a super awesome, totally cool weekend for being such an outstanding editor! Throw in a couple of smileys and an LOL comment about how they're burning through the queue.

(Ok, I'm exaggerating a little but not by much. It's hard for them to slap you with a rejection when you're sickeningly sweet and come off as just a little bit stupid. Sort of like kicking a mentally retarded puppy, nobody wants to be that guy.)

That's my method but keep in mind that I use a pen name and an unrecognizable photo. :lol:

Oh, and I also LOVE the tax questions. It's pretty obvious that some of them have never been a freelance or independent anything. I have to sit on my hands when I see those threads. Dude, you earned money so you have to pay taxes on it. It really isn't that fucking complicated.
Shirley

Advertisement

Postby Shirley » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:01 pm

Shirley

Postby marsha » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:02 pm

Talking about how much money you can make per hour at Demand is pretty misleading. I generally make $30/hour, but I can only write about 2-3 hours of DS content a day or I get burned out. It's not the research and article writing itself that's a problem; it's first having to sort through thousands of stupid titles, and second having to wait for approval and worrying if you're conforming to someone's subjective and ever-changing standards.
marsha

Postby LincolnParkAfterDark » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:41 pm

Yeah, the taxes were a wake-up call to me this year when I did them. Granted, in 2009, I only wrote for Associated Content and made like $1500, but I did not realize how much it affected things. I know better now and I save 30% of all my earnings in an ING account. Glad I found that out earlier this year BEFORE I started making decent money with DS.

IDK, it just doesn't seem like a lot of the people on the writing forums (this includes other content mill forums/writing forums) even factor in taxes. All this, "I need to make $1000 to pay my bills before the collections calls start in"... In the back of my mind I'm always thinking, well, what about taxes? If you need $1000 to pay your bills, you darn WELL better have factored in the taxes in this $1000 or you're in for it come January.
LincolnParkAfterDark

Postby LincolnParkAfterDark » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:48 pm

Oh, wanted to add --

I do the book thing too as a reference and as way to search for new titles. It just gives me ideas of subjects I wouldn't otherwise think of searching for. Believe me, I've found some EASY PEASY how to titles hidden in the bowels of the assignment list! This is primarily why my queue is always filled with 20 titles. I'm never short of anything to write about (sorry if this sounds Zombieish, but it's true).

And I've found the CE's like book references. Or at least, it's reflected in my research score, which is in the 4's.

I always give a link in the notes to the Google Books link for the book. Even if the entire book isn't online, it at least shows the CE that I'm not making the title up and it is a REAL book.
LincolnParkAfterDark

Postby Patrick » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:36 pm

great stuff guys!!

yeah, i've seen the book reference thing myself and posted it on my first couple of tips pages.

totally agree with the major thrust here - JUST SEND IT THROUGH!!

it really depends on which CE gets it. If it's a CE that knows what you're talking about, you
might get a few comments and a rewrite, but if not.......KA-CHING $15.00.

you never know.

part of the wonderfullness of DS.

p-dawg
Patrick

Postby Rand » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:36 am

Yeah, there's no way some of these people write as much as they SAY they do. I think some people post more than they write!

As for "just submitting it anyway" I've had experience with this. I wrote an entire article and realized, "crap, this title could mean two entirely different careers." But, I already wrote the sucker. The thought of getting a stupid rewrite from the CE caused me to run it by title clarification forum so I could say to the CE, "this perspective was approved." I explained in the title clarification forum I had already written the article from the perspective of one career and if that was fine. The (new) mod said, "Sorry, I think this title is unwriteable. Please flag it." Seriously? I ALREADY WROTE the article, and she was telling me to discard it. I was about to follow my little marching orders until I thought "eff it" and submitted the article anyway. It was approved.
Rand

Postby KWY » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:32 pm

I LOVE all your advice about running the crap up the flagpole and seeing if they salute. I'll try that next time it happens.

I've been freelancing full-time for over 8 years now, and I always just whack 30% of anything I earn off the top and set it aside for taxes (sometimes it kills me). So far, it has worked out fine. I used to use an accountant to figure out what I owed every quarter, and 2 years in a row I got porked in the 4th quarter, owing thousands more than I'd set aside (because the accountant let me off too light in previous quarters and I thought, "Woo hoo! Extra for me!" and spent it).

So I finally figured out, why the hell am I paying this idiot $65 an hour for screw me every December? Now every quarter, I send 25% to the feds and 5% to the state of whatever I've earned. Everybody's happy and no accountant fees.

Maybe some of the DSers who get to spend every dime don't earn enough to owe taxes on it, all their bragging notwithstanding.
KWY

Postby Ten Fingers Typing » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:10 pm

I've used books and never had a problem. I forget about using them sometimes but they really are good to have around.

Shirley, Thanks for the CE advice. I forget about leaving little notes, too.
------

karla
Ten Fingers Typing

Previous

Return to Demand Studios