[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - Best Tip to your fellow workers

• Advertisement

Best Tip to your fellow workers

Talk about Demand Studios and Demand Media. How about that health insurance?!!

Best Tip to your fellow workers

Postby JulianneHarte » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:48 pm

Since we've got an influx of new people, I thought I'd start a thread on the best way to work around DMS/get as much done as you can. New people bring new ideas and I would love to hear what everyone thinks.

My best tip is that Google is your friend, especially if you set it up to only use the edu and gov sites. I've been able to crank out a lot of articles using these links without a problem of the article coming back for rewrite.

My other best tip is to hold onto good links you think you can reuse. I've got a folder of links I reuse on articles, because they meet Demand's requirements and are generic enough that they can fit lots of similar titles.
Check out http://ayearofbaking.blogspot.com, one woman's mission to bake every day for a year!
JulianneHarte

Advertisement

Re: Best Tip to your fellow workers

Postby Braaaaains » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:17 pm

Making a links folder has never failed me. I tend to write on the same subjects over and over so I keep folders in Firefox for each subject, and further organize those as applicable. That cuts my research time in half easily.
"My sisters and I cannot spend any substantial time searching for Wickham, as we are each commanded by His Majesty to defend Hertfordshire from all enemies until such time as we are dead, rendered lame, or married."
Braaaaains

Postby Page1News » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:18 pm

#1 TIP TO GETTING THROUGH THE DMS SYSTEM:

KNOW THAT DMS MAKES ITS MONEY FROM AD CLICKS .... NOT YOUR PULITZER PRIZE-WINNING CONTENT! THE WORSE THE CONTENT, THE MORE A USER WILL CLICK AN AD TO NAVIGATE AWAY FROM THE SITE! THE ENTIRE DMS PRODUCTION LINE IS IN PLACE TO FOOL THE BIG SEARCH ENGINE. DO NOT TAKE WRITING OR EDITING ALL THAT SERIOUSLY.
You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometime, you just might find, you get what you need.
Page1News

Postby Page1News » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:33 pm

References: If google results are lame (content farm crap), use Blekko. It filters out most of the farm content and provides more useful sites.

CE Rewrite Requests: CEs: Edit just enough to fool anyone who doesn't know about the smoke and mirrors. Rack 'em and stack 'em ... everyone makes quick money. And don't sit on rewrites ... you want cash, too.
Writers: Most requests are "cover-your-ass" CE tactics. Do the quick fixes, let go of the rogue CE requests seeking total do-overs.

For DMSers Who Want Out: Write a few less DMS articles per week, and use that time to find other revenue streams. There are a TON of other avenues for professional and experienced writers and editors.
You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometime, you just might find, you get what you need.
Page1News

Postby The Batman » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:38 pm

Good idea Julianne. I've offered many tips in my few months here, but I'll repost some.

1) Fear not unfamiliar subjects. Research and regurgitate. Sure, we'd all love to always write on familiar subjects, but when the titles aren't there can write on other topics.
2) For tech writers, site:.edu in Google is your friend. Many university IT departments have gigantic knowledge bases on how to do just about everything on a computer.
3) Again for tech writers, the Department of Homeland Security has tons of articles online about computer security. That .gov reference will help you get any old crap past the CEs.
4) If you have researched an article for more than 10 minutes and you are still not sure what to write, unclaim.
5) Stay out of the Zombie forums. You will rarely find anything useful there and it will waste your time.
6) Do not post in the Title Clarification forum between approximately 2 and 6 est on weekdays. There is a high probability that JoeC will answer your question if you do. He seems to live to make simple crap more difficult and usually has no idea what he is talking about. Shoot for morning posts in the TC forum. The female staffers who answer are more reasonable.
"Wait, when is March Madness?" ~CE Cluebat
The Batman

Postby CuzISaidSo » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:42 pm

Write off the top of your head, even though they like to tell us not to. I do NOT research anything I write, even if I don't have first-hand experience with the topic. I refuse to spend more than 20 minutes writing an article, so research is not part of the equation. How does it work? I choose titles I can easily bullshit.

Oh, and if you write for the eHow business/finance site, write some regular eHow titles everyday too. Business/finance articles are going through slowly (2 to 3 days most of the time, 24 hours if you're lucky), while eHows go through in less than 24 hours for me.
CuzISaidSo

Postby RECK Rose » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:46 pm

I really like www.searchedu.com It will bring back only .edu, .gov, and .mil sites depending on which option you choose. Helps eliminate all the shit we can't use.
RECK Rose

Postby sickofstupidity » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:57 pm

My best tip is to just forget about everything but making money. I see so many people lamenting ONE low score (if it's the first article of the month and it drags their scores down). One score doesn't matter that much, and you could use the 20 minutes you spent getting upset about to write another article. The forums don't make you any money. If you are close to eviction, unable to make rent, eating ramen for days on end, etc., STAY OUT OF THE FORUMS. Spend every waking minute you have writing or titling, whichever you think will pay first (titling during slow review times helps a lot). Don't delude yourself into thinking you are writing print-quality articles. I write for several print pubs and they pay me accordingly. I do a good job at DS, but I don't pour hours of research and on-site interviews into my work. If you are a slow typist, take a class or buy dictation software. Just improving your typing speed will help you write more articles. Don't agonize over what to include in your articles. Just pick section heads that fit the title and start writing.
sickofstupidity

Postby brattymissbratty » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:08 pm

brattymissbratty

Postby EndangeredPrescence » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:19 pm

EndangeredPrescence

Next

Return to Demand Studios