[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - Best Tip to your fellow workers

• Advertisement

Best Tip to your fellow workers

Talk about Demand Studios and Demand Media. How about that health insurance?!!

Re: Best Tip to your fellow workers

Postby tomtuckermyass » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:41 am

If the CE requests more than three things to rewrite just let it expire, she will find another ten reasons why to reject it. I have had it several times, I rewrite even the most retarded request and she still rejected it for some other nonsense reason. So if the request is simple and not asking to make it a prize winner shit then rewrite if you sense the CE has nothing better to do then let it expire.
tomtuckermyass

Advertisement

Postby scrappy_bitch » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:29 pm

A note for the newbs on title selection. Selecting the right title will head off about 75% of your annoying rewrites.

Pick titles for stuff that can only be done one way, and the more specific, the better. It eliminates the problem of CEs who like to send back rewrites that boil down to "I think it should be done THIS way instead" or "Add more on X".

For example, I wouldn't touch "How to Setup My Home Theater System" with a ten foot pole. Who knows what type of hardware the reader has? You'll end up chasing your own tail or writing way more than you should for $15-$18. On the other hand, "How to Setup the Network Connection on a Tivo" is at least worth a look. "How to Setup the Ethernet Network Connection on a Tivo Series2" is even better, provided you can find the manual and it's not some 15 step process.

Happy hunting.
scrappy_bitch

Postby partygirl » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:49 pm

I agree totally with Scrappy. I don't write tech, but I pick my titles very carefully. I only pick titles that make sense, I know what they mean, and I know that the question is reasonably answerable. I see all these people on the z-forums posting these crazy titles, asking for help about what they mean and how to write them. First, it's a waste of time to post on the forum, wait for responses, read over the feedback, then make a decision on how to approach the title. Second, those are the types of titles that are just begging to get lengthy rewrites/rejections because they're so open to interpretation. Just say NO to a stupid, silly, confusing, crazy or ambiguous title and move along to a better one.
partygirl

Postby tinkit » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:57 am

I just want to say that you guys(gals) have been super helpful. Not only does this site provide me with much needed comic relief from a shitty job, but I have also learned "How to be a better DMS writer". Seriously, the advice has been priceless (well, I could probably determine the change in income). I've gone from a self-conscious super-anxious DMS writer to an "I don't really give a shit, give me some articles so I can nom" writer. I'm happy to say that I'm making over twice what my husband makes an hour, writing sad, stupid things like "What keeps food hot?"
So, my best advice is a compilation of what's already here. Claim the easy, but not-too-easy (deceivingly easy!) titles. If you can't write it in 30 minutes (and can't come up with at least half of it w/o research), than it's not worth your time. If you can't find a reference in two minutes, than call it stupid(loudly!) and unclaim it. Take a preemptive, friendly strike at your potential CE and ignore most of the rewrites. They induce stress and are largely worthless, much like the CEs.
tinkit

Postby berg » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:13 am

berg

Postby BatManuel » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:58 am

Set a daily limit based on how much you need to make each day/week/month to live. When you hit that limit, move on to another project and hit that limit as fast as you can.

If you think you can do more, go for it. But, if doing more means you don't do something better, like finding a real freelance client or building your portfolio or whatever, then don't do more.

Do not short change yourself. If your daily limit is five, don't stop at four and tell yourself you'll make it up later. If you do seven one day, don't do three the next. Do the minimum every day that you work.

Give yourself all day to meet your limit. Sure, giving yourself all day contradicts the advice to do it as fast as you can, but if you tell yourself that you can't do something else, like work on your blog, until you finish, you might not finish. If you have to stop and do something else, do it. But finish that goal before you go to bed and try your best to finish it as early as possible.

Set a limit that works for you. If your limit is 35 a week, and you can really do it in two or three days, go for it. If you burn out easily and need to do it in bite-sized pieces, spread it out over 7 days.

Have a life. Go to the gym, hang out with friends, and do not take your laptop with you just so you can "get a few things done." When you're done for the day, you're done. Move on.
BatManuel

Postby Pardon_my_French » Thu May 05, 2011 6:53 pm

After today's bubbling party, I have to say this...wow, don't ever use DMS as your sole source of income. I am sad to see that there were people that admitted to this after being dropped into the WDP, fondly referred to here as "the gulag."*

And, I will add, if you want to be a real writer, stop lowering yourself to scribbling this bullshit content.

Pardon_my_French

Postby princess of males » Fri May 06, 2011 4:24 am

Yeah, only work for DMS for a couple of hours a day like I do, and try to churn out as many articles as you can. I normally aim for 6-8 every day, that gives me plenty to live on. I am now starting a paid job soon too, so that will boost my income too. I have used (use) DMS to supplement my non-existing income: aka: help me deplete my savings slower. I lost my job in december, so it just came in super handy to write for DMS. I needed time off to think and do some travel and in the meantime i wrote some content mill flour. I would not want it as a full time - only income job on anyone, too insecure, no benefits and lowers your self esteem.

Conclusion: only use it to get some income while you are unemployed and looking for a proper job. Don't build your future on it.
princess of males

Postby The Batman » Sun May 08, 2011 12:07 am

"Wait, when is March Madness?" ~CE Cluebat
The Batman

Postby berg » Fri May 20, 2011 1:03 pm

berg

PreviousNext

Return to Demand Studios