[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - Best Tip to your fellow workers

• Advertisement

Best Tip to your fellow workers

Talk about Demand Studios and Demand Media. How about that health insurance?!!

Re: Best Tip to your fellow workers

Postby partygirl » Sat May 21, 2011 2:22 pm

partygirl

Advertisement

Postby i_smell » Sat May 21, 2011 5:11 pm

me too. I bet my drawing's better.

Attn Co-Authors:

That is all.
i_smell

Postby garbo » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:52 pm

There are some great tips in this thread.

I have a small addition. I hope I don't sound too much like a shill, but DevonThink Pro is a great application for this kind of work. I've been doing all of my writing and research using a dedicated database within DT, and the "AI" (bullshit marketing term, really) search functions are great. You can use them to cross-reference very quickly, check for duplicated content, search all previously used sources for relevant info, among other things. If you consistently write on a few, fairly narrow topics, this app is a dream come true.

I solemnly swear that I do not work for Devon Tech. in any capacity, nor am I a shareholder. The down-side is that DT tends to be unstable, and uses a rather sneaky copyright protection scheme.
garbo

Postby givethemyourworst » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:34 pm

givethemyourworst

Postby OP Yum Grrrl » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:52 pm

What's worked for me:

*Run every single article through a plag checker before submitting. Every. Single. One. If you recently wrote a similar title, go back and check to make sure it doesn't use exactly the same references/resources, headings, etc.

*Do the fucking re-write or don't, but do NOT argue with the CE. A simple "I changed this, let me know if more edits are needed - Thanks" works like a charm. Even if said CE is insulting as fuck, keep it classy if you want to avoid rejections.

*Don't bother with the Help Desk or rejection appeals. It takes too much time and only draws unwanted attention to yourself. Stay low and go.

*Stay OFF the Z-forums as much as possible. If you participate, avoid controversial topics or arguments with resident zombs. Don't be naive enough to believe a CE wouldn't fuck up your scores because you pissed them off in the forums. The less people know about you, the better. If you want to socialize or be opinionated, do it here :)
OP Yum Grrrl

Postby Page1News » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:20 am

Rack 'em and stack 'em. That's all DMSers need to worry about. Fuck rewrites unless they are two-second fixes.
There is no way for any DMSer, writer or CE, to fulfill DMS's Wish List of Expectations. Work quickly and move on. If you know grammar well, you will do fine. If not, start looking for a non-writing gig.

Protip: Unless you want to get stuck at DMS, spend more time on other gigs than you do with DMS. Don't waste time that could have been spent working on other opportunities. Trust me ... once I quit fuckin' with DMS, great things started happening in my professional life.
You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometime, you just might find, you get what you need.
Page1News

Postby EnigmaticJack » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:10 pm

'Guys and girls, beware, the berg has warned you.'

Rule number one: The Doctor lies.
EnigmaticJack

Postby alias » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:08 pm

alias

Postby alias » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:26 am

Ha. Exactly. I consider myself a quick study but apparently that doesn't apply to lands lacking logic because it took me a little too long to learn that, along with which titles not to pick. Nuance does not exist at DS. Actually, there's my number one tip.
alias

Postby Page1News » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:38 pm

You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometime, you just might find, you get what you need.
Page1News

Previous

Return to Demand Studios