[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - Best Tip to your fellow workers

• Advertisement

Best Tip to your fellow workers

Talk about Demand Studios and Demand Media. How about that health insurance?!!

Re: Best Tip to your fellow workers

Postby scrappy_bitch » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:08 pm

scrappy_bitch

Advertisement

Postby Nuh-uh » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:58 pm

Nuh-uh

Postby CCapozzi » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:00 pm

I run my articles through the p-checker, http://searchenginereports.net/articlecheck.aspx

Sometimes, I'll find my material (coincidentally) matches stuff from .gov and .edu sites. If this happens, I just provide an in-text citation and add it to my references.
CCapozzi

Postby Siren » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:37 pm

I discovered DSS yesterday, thanks to the loopy posts over at the DS forums. These tips are phenomenal. I'm a super-fast, super-focused writer, but I definitely improved my output today by:

Claiming similar titles.
Writing off the top of my head.
Not proofreading.
Only picking a photo from the first page I pick (I like to choose page 3, in hopes of getting a photo of a non-white person).
Using the same canned, good-for-anything references I know by heart.

I used a lot of these tricks already, but to have them confirmed here just made it all gel.

Some of my other favorite tips:
Write each section as its own article as opposed to trying to connect them or transition between them.
Make 100 bucks by 11:30am and then pitch for gigs or work for other clients if I've got something going on.
Never check the scorecard.
Scan the forums once a week for anything that I may need, and ignore it the rest of the time.
Every now and then, toss in a really strange verb, just for fun.

Thanks to everyone,
Siren
Siren

Postby Bipolarlife » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:41 am

Siren! Thank you for summing up a lot of the advice from this thread! I really, really appreciate it. I might even print it out and have it next to me as a reminder to speed things up!

"Sasha"
Bipolarlife

Postby tomtuckermyass » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:39 am

I would be careful with claiming similar titles, ccos that would get you plagflaged for repurposing. I normally write about stuff like, how to paint a wall, then how to choose paint for a wall, or how mcuh paint to use etc, but i would not choose similar stuff like how to drink water and then how to drink fizzy water cos i would run the risk of getting flagged.

plus i never choose titles nowadays like "how to burp and fart at the same time", cos thats double time to write cos normally they nitpick to go into detail on both how to burp and then another section on farting so i work double for the same money.

I also keep a timer in a separate window, so i can check my progress, i give myself 3-5 mins for intro, 2 mins per steps, insert refs, then do the ref list, one, maybe two useless tips, hardly any warnings and off you go.

picture from first page too, sometimes it takes the longest to get a picture.

research: i pick titles in the afternoon, then do the quick ref. check on the net by typing in the title of the article and then choosing the top three refs from my chrome search result that automatically blocks all the blacklisted sites. i save the links in a doc file and use the links the next morning for refs.

I never waste more than three hours a day on DMS, it gives me just enough to get by, and thats all i need it for.
tomtuckermyass

Postby Sherlock » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:46 pm

When you submit articles, avoid Thu-Sun.

That's when the stupidest and clueless editors are on. All my requests for re-writes, especially the ones that makes no sense, are during those days.
Sherlock

Postby liarmcliarface » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:25 pm

Leave comments for CEs explaining why you are qualified to write the article. This reduces pointless rewrites and rejections.
"You gotta keep your worlds apart!" - George Costanza
liarmcliarface

Postby balls-r-us » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:51 pm

Advice while title hunting: Search da Googlez before you claim a title, even if you know what you're writing about! Some titles might be very good, but you might not find a reference for it. Be prepared for any evil CE who might want to reject your article for no reference if you claim a title that doesn't have good material to back you up once you write it. Even saying your qualifications in your BIO sometimes don't save you from shit. Try and keep it safe and find as many reference-rich titles as you can.
I iz a riter. I can haz $15? Tank you!
balls-r-us

Postby EnigmaticJack » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:48 pm

'Guys and girls, beware, the berg has warned you.'

Rule number one: The Doctor lies.
EnigmaticJack

PreviousNext

Return to Demand Studios