[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - Bright Hub Overview

• Advertisement

Bright Hub Overview

brighthub.com

Bright Hub Overview

Postby D.H. » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:26 pm

Bright Hub is a content mill that combines prepayments with revenue share. There are, I believe, three different means to write for them. The Editorially Managed channels are probably the most common, so that's the focus here. Many Bright Hub articles require images, and all of them require an additional SEO section.

They pay $10 upfront for every article written, and they pay an additional monthly amount based on how many visitors a given article receives. The formula is a bit complex, and there are a lot of fingers in the pie. Also, the revenue to be shared seems to differ from one channel to the next. Look for something in the order of $2 per month per 1000 page views, although that's just a rough approximation.

The Editorially Managed channels do indeed have editors. The editors are the gatekeepers for approving a given article. They seem to be the closest approximation at any of the content mills of what you'd expect from a traditional editor. In my experience, they are pretty good about guiding your writing and SEO text, when you ask for help. The editors share in revenue from your articles, so they are incentivized to get the best possible content published.

Uniquely among content mills, Bright Hub will provide you detailed statistics about your articles. You can track exactly how many page views, referrals, and which keywords are driving traffic. Excellent data, and worth paying attention to these numbers. I've already begun to adjust my writing choices based on topics that tend to perform.

Bright Hub is by no means perfect. I have found that it takes longer to write an article there than elsewhere, because of the image and SEO requirements. However, once an article is written, you can continue to reap rewards for months without any additional work. They do pull non-performing articles, which I believe are classified as those which don't receive at least 100 page views in a month.

Bright Hub claims all advertising-based web rights to your writing, when you publish with them. As a practical matter, this means you can't republish the same article word-for-word on another content mill. However, they do explicitly grant writers retention of offline and ebook rights to their work. I believe you can also republish your work on a personal blog or non-advertising website. Check their terms and conditions to be clear on how your rights break down.
D.H.

Advertisement

Re: Bright Hub Overview

Postby Patrick » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:00 pm

Did a few more for them.

Will be worth it once the DS gravy train is over. Right now it's too much trouble. I can crank out 3 DS articles in the time it takes me to write one BrightHub one.

On the other hand, the editing process is much easier.
Patrick

Postby LaughAMinute » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:31 pm

Once you learn the formula the managing editors are looking for, the articles go rapidly.
They do not have any crazy "blacklists", so references are simple and they allow outside images, so giving credit is all that is needed.
I have done pretty good with Rev share returns as well.

Please do not listen to the Z-forum people about this site.
They require that you have experience in the subject you are writing. Many of the Zombies have zero to offer in the experience level and therefore have difficulty getting titles. Do not blame the managing editors for wanting decent articles.
Last edited by LaughAMinute on Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LaughAMinute

Postby D.H. » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:59 pm

I like Bright Hub, but I haven't yet cracked the code to make it pay for the time spent. The best thing about BH is that the editors really function as editors. I've had very positive interactions with my editor there, and the way their system is set up, the editors are compensated and thus incentivized to ensure the writers are successful.

It probably takes me on average 2 hours to write a piece there on Bright Hub. If you pick the correct titles, it is possible to make some serious cash in residuals. If you pick the wrong titles, you'll get $10 upfront and maybe $1 - $2 trickling in over time. It's not as lousy as Helium, but it's not as consistent as Demand.

I'd rather write 4 articles for DS and make $60 than try my hand at $10 + ??? over at BH.

If I could be certain that over time my work on BH would even out in residual pay to that of DS, I would spend a lot more time writing for them. It's so much of a crapshoot though. I probably overwrite my articles, and I know that I need to be more selective about titles. Like I said, I haven't cracked the code.
D.H.

Postby AngryAnderson » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:40 pm

I am having trouble with BH because my channel editor comes up with key phrases that don't make sense either in terms of the content or in terms of English usage and she wants you to use them exactly. Last month I spent about 6 hours on 3 articles because the website kept crashing and then the editor who the channel manager sent my article to, didn't like it because the keywords were in gibberish.
AngryAnderson

Postby LaughAMinute » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:56 pm

LaughAMinute

Postby Crackity Jones » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:09 pm

So which of the application options is the way to go, can anyone advise? I'm getting ready to bite the bullet and want to be sure to pick the right one.
Crackity Jones

Postby DinaMerrill » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:58 am

Bright Hub seems like a very reasonable place to write articles--there is a bit of a learning curve, but there are positives--you know the CE and there's a collegial exchange between the channel and you.

I agree with whoever said it's easier to write a lot of articles there than just a few for the damned DMD people.
DinaMerrill

Postby sickofstupidity » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:19 pm

sickofstupidity

Postby yes_that_anne » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:05 pm

FWIW, I've been pulling in about $20 a month recently just by posting some of my old college English papers to the "Books" channel (which is rev share only). I don't really care if kids swipe them because a simple Google search will rat them out, and it appears many of them are clicking the ads for essay writing/etc. that pop up with them. And they're work I've already done (years ago, lol), so there's minimum time investment. ;)
yes_that_anne

Next

Return to Bright Hub