• Advertisement

Question about public requests

constant-content.com

Question about public requests

Postby Ducky » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:09 am

Is there a way to see how many articles have been submitted for a public request? Just started submitting some stuff to CC after signing up nearly two years ago. :lol:

I don't mind the idea of writing on spec there if it's a general topic since I could sell the article at some point anyway, but I wouldn't bother rushing to write for a request if there were 100 articles already submitted or something.
Ducky

Advertisement

Re: Question about public requests

Postby BurnCEs » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:12 am

Not that I know of. Personally, I wouldn't write anything from scratch for a public request because I've always assumed the competition is fierce. I have sent relevant stuff that I've already uploaded for general sale on CC in answer to public requests, with an offer to tweak it to the client's spec. I've never had any takers for this, so I tend to ignore all of them now. Most of my tech stuff sells quite well on CC, but you sometimes have to wait weeks/months to shift it.
BurnCEs

Postby Ducky » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:57 pm

Thanks, Burn. That's kind of what I figured. I know it can take awhile to sell over there, but I'm just trying to build up a decent collection there as part of a backup plan for when the DMS ship sinks. I'll likely ignore most of the public requests, but I'd do one if it's a subject I'd write about anyway and is general enough to still sell if they don't take it. Seems a lot of the requests only want to pay $10 or $20 an article of 400 or 500 words though. That's not worth it to me after CC's cut. I figure I've got to charge 8 to 10 cents a word to be worth my time after CC takes the 35%.
Ducky

Postby CE_ClueBat » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:22 am

To answer your question, Ducky, no.

Maybe some of this will help you:

My first sale at CC was for a public request. :D I don't pay too much attention to them, because the buyers usually low ball you, but if you watch CC's recently sold list, you can catch buyers low ball people in the public request but buy open market articles for the price you like to sell them at. I've seen that happen a few times at CC. So, I'll lower my asking rate a bit, but never to a crazy low standard. I've had buyers buy articles at my asking price even though they list at a specific price. The downside is that I've also had them tell me they can only afford $20 or whatever on a 400 word piece. That's too low for me, so I decline their offer.

I will never again write for people with a 0 purchase history. I've been burned that way before and I have a very low success rate with those buyers. Actually, I don't think I've ever had someone buy with a 0 purchase rate. However, I've sold $150 articles in a public request before, so I do write for them sometimes.

I have a good success rate with CC, and I've written for public requests and wasn't chosen, but the article sells later down the road, so I don't care. My strategy, though, is to only write articles for public requests where I think there is a market for another buyer if I'm not chosen. That's my rule of thumb with public requests, and well, I don't write for 0 purchase buyers anymore.

ETA: I think I had 10 articles up before I sold anything. And, I sell no problem at a rate that you're thinking of Ducky, so don't sweat it.
"Or, it could be that I don't know everything." ~TheBatman
CE_ClueBat

Postby Ducky » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:47 pm

Thanks, Clue. That does help. I figured the same thing. I'll write if it seems like something I could sell anyway. I didn't think to check the purchase history though, so thanks for that tip. I've seen others say then can sell between 8 and 10 cents a word too, so I think I'll be okay once I get a little stable of articles built up there. I'm actually putting some effort into the articles I'm submitting there, so it's good content about topics I know well instead of DMS dog shit.
Ducky

Postby Water's Fine » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:30 am

There was a public request I was interested in but never got going on it, and I noticed several for sale that seemed to be written for it. Is that what happens when you submit one, they put it up on the site for sale? Or is that after the person has bought one (or not)? I think they went up before the expiry date. Anyway I noticed they weren't selling, it made me think twice about public requests. Some I would write for the same reasons as Ducky.

There was another one where I actually started the article, and the request was pulled. Does that happen because CC pulls them for some reason? It didn't bother me since I figure there's a risk going in. Except it gave it a random-ness that turns me off Elance, especially if the client puts it up and takes it down a few days later. It seems I have a low threshold for whimsical clients.
Water's Fine

Postby CE_ClueBat » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:00 am

Yes, if the buyer chooses one article, alllllll of the articles not chosen drop into the general queue. That's another reason why I'm really picky about what I send in for public requests. If I know there will be tons of people sending articles, meh, I skip it. However, for instance, with my $150 that I sold, another guy wrote an article as well and it dropped into the queue. I saw his sell like a week later, so sometimes, the buyer comes back and buys some of the others. I've also seen that multiple times.

The best way to get a feel for how CC works is to read the forums and watch the recently sold list. I also look at the search term list for ideas and to see what people are searching for.

There's a lot of zombs at CC, so I suggest writing something you know well and one-upping the competition by offering something different. The term "SEO" is the #1 search term there, and the zombs are saturating CC with those articles. Some of them will sell, no doubt, but I've sold articles in minutes by one-upping the zombs with personal experience and a little more advanced level information in my field.

I've sold quite a few SEO articles, but I don't write the same ol' same ol' that everyone else writes. When I was writing regularly there, I had a guy who added me to his RSS feed, and he used to buy my stuff in minutes if he wanted content. It was all my SEO stuff. I'm kinda kicking myself now for losing steam at CC, but that 35% cut is writer rape, IMO. My highest month was $400? I think. I just remember I took home $250, and when you get into bigger numbers like that, you really start to hurt looking at how much they took from you.
CE_ClueBat

Postby Water's Fine » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:57 pm

Thanks for that. I look at the public requests just to be motivated. I have a feeling some wouldn't get a lot of responses, and I would write just to get those first three in, if I'm interested in the topic. Then I get distracted... I think I could do okay at what I can write about, from what I've seen, if I would just get going. Berg said something too a few months ago that I took to heart, about not focusing on writing for SEO and things would work out, and it made sense to me.

It is a big chunk that they keep. For that percentage I hope they're diligent about screening the clients -- that aspect can really hang you up when you're self-employed. I don't want to deal with it online, it's hard enough in the real world.

I was looking at the forums but they seemed kind of static for awhile so I got out of the habit.
Water's Fine

Postby CE_ClueBat » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:03 am

You don't have to worry about SEO at CC. That's another awesome thing about that place. Just write what you feel like, proof it and submit.

The forums are quiet, but it's because customers can also read there. The general CC writers are a lot smarter than the zombs and know that the customers can read if they are unprofessional. Plus, CC hasn't fucked over their writers and they are generally treated well for all intents and purposes. They pay on time, and they respond professionally to writer complaints. I've had a good experience with their staff when I've had to ask them to get scraped copy removed. The only real rage facers are the people who got suspended or rejected.
CE_ClueBat

Return to Constant Content