[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - Non-Content Mill Sites?

• Advertisement

Non-Content Mill Sites?

Looking to start freelancing? Need some advice? What the hell do you think this is here for?

Non-Content Mill Sites?

Postby JulianneHarte » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:35 pm

Does anybody have good recommendations to find work that isn't a content mill and/or Elance/oDesk? I know Craigslist has its moments, but I'm looking for a site that can help me get more jobs. I don't feel comfortable at this point in cold calling, but I really want to find more work outside of the world of content mills.

Also, anybody suggest any good writing programs? I could really use a course or two to work on my skills.
Check out http://ayearofbaking.blogspot.com, one woman's mission to bake every day for a year!
JulianneHarte

Advertisement

Re: Non-Content Mill Sites?

Postby yourmom » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:43 pm

Bella online has a huge list of paying markets....

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art2022.asp
dont panic. I'm not here to hate.

Check out my blog at http://www.beautymadefresh.net

and my horror/fantasy/science-fiction novels @
http://www.chelseahoffman.weebly.com
yourmom

Postby JulianneHarte » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:51 pm

Check out http://ayearofbaking.blogspot.com, one woman's mission to bake every day for a year!
JulianneHarte

Postby D.H. » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:59 pm

D.H.

Postby WhatEver » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:44 pm

These two sites list multiple sources for writing gigs:

This site has free courses on various subjects, including English, grammar, and writing:
Freelance mantra: *Diversify*Diversify*Diversify*
WhatEver

Postby BurnCEs » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:05 am

Hi Julianne, there's good money to be made writing PR guff (brochures, websites, press releases, product fact sheets, and the rest). It does, however, involve some cold-calling, networking, talking a bit of marketing shit and general flesh-pressing stuff. The advantage is that once you pull off a good job for one PR client, word gets around quick. They all rely on each other's recommendations in that world, it seems. Also, because PRs are used to being journalists' bitches, if you have a journalistic background they tend to look at you all dewy-eyed. And if you can deliver them a couple of 'warm contacts' still working in the mainstream media, they will love you forever and offer to have your children (figuratively speaking.) Budgets are tighter than two years' ago but there is a fair bit of work out there if you are tenacious.
BurnCEs

Postby alice » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:22 am

I also like D.H.'s idea of a local writing group. And check community colleges -- in some places you can take an individual course very cheaply without having to enroll in a degree program. Doing stuff face-to-face is good, if you have the time.
alice

Postby JulianneHarte » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:51 am

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Burn, I've got The Well Fed Writer, which is heavily for the PR stuff. My biggest problem with cold calling is the small people sitting at my feet right now. I've got kids and the younger one especially gets very upset when I so much as walk to my bedroom. Cold-calling doesn't work well when the little ones scream in the background.

I was looking for any sort of idea on better writing, so I'll take all suggestions. Mostly, I want to be better at the craft and get out of DMS. I know I can do better and I can get out of here in a few years, when both kids are in school full time.
JulianneHarte

Postby BurnCEs » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:26 pm

Hi Julianne, PM me if you ever want to tap into this market as there are 'ways in' that reduce the need to do much phone whoring. You do usually need some exp under your belt, though, so I reckon your approach to get a bit more experience first is bang on the nail.
BurnCEs

Postby Ken » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:42 pm

Ken

Next

Return to How to Start Freelancing